Gen Con Community

Welcome to Gen Con Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Mass Die Roll for Gary Gygax

Last post 06-27-2008 3:30 PM by KatsObsession. 48 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (49 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-07-2008 7:54 AM In reply to

• Keeper
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-02-2006
    • Five block from the ICC
    • Game Theorist
    • Points 25,515
    • Dead Games Society
      Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)
      Group (Mavens)
      VIG

Re: Mass Die Roll for Gary Gygax

I am wondering is there a world's record for 20-sided die rolling? Guinness World Record wise?

Randu

Gen Con Action Historian
    Keeperpoloza-35 Years of Hanging aroung
    The Keeper Mega Fun Time Site!
    http://mypage.iu.edu/~wrporter
  • 03-07-2008 9:23 AM In reply to

• Hsien
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-12-2007
    • Gerrardstown, WV
    • Attendee
    • Points 1,413
    • Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)

Searched the Guinness site and the only "dice" reference was for the largest collection. Note the site indicates they only provide a small assortment fo the 40k+ records though. There are some very odd records so a mass dice roll should be plausible.

Guinness

• 03-07-2008 10:37 AM In reply to

• Lesimony
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 03-01-2006
    • Deep in the Heart of Texas
    • Game Theorist
    • Points 19,230
    • Group (BYOV)
      Group (Gamer Wenches)

Add myself and Malafar to the list.

The Chainmaille Wench
    The Chainmaille Wench on Facebook

Chainmaille - It's not just for armor anymore!!

2012 NRA B Class National Champion - Highpower Silhouette Hunting Rifle

• 03-07-2008 11:59 AM In reply to

• NascragMan
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-01-2006
    • We LOVE generic tickets!
    • Oracle of Gaming
    • Points 27,930
    • Group (Nascrag)

It's too bad all the locations are going to be so spread out this year or GC management could just go on the Public Address at a pre-determined time and as for a moment of silence followed by a dice-roll.  Nice idea.

• 03-07-2008 1:34 PM In reply to

• NDGeekboy
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-03-2006
    • The Black Hole of North America
    • Gaming Encyclopedia
    • Points 43,430
    • Tester

If the hall captains have handheld radios and if the hotels are kind enough to indulge Gen Con, to let us broadcast on their PA systems for just those couple of minutes, maybe it can happen throughout the convention.

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different.
    - Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

You see, you just can't trust anyone. The first time I let a girl into my life and she tried to eat me.
    - Columbus, Zombieland

I guess that's what my horoscope meant when it said, "Ka-Boom."
    - Al Bundy, Married: With Children

The fundamental cause of trouble in this world is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
    - Bertrand Russell
  • 03-09-2008 5:28 PM In reply to

• Adam
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-14-2007
    • Newfoundland, Canada
    • Attendee
    • Points 1,386
    • Group (Gen Con United Nations)

I'm in.

It's sad but it took his death for me to realise what an impact D&D has had on my life. I always knew that a signifcant portion of who i am is resting on my bookshelf, just not how big a portion. When i heard about his death it actually hit me hard. This was the man who gave me endless hours of laughter and joy. Every late night sitting on the coach eating junk, every character rolled, every laugh shared, every lucky crit that took down the DM's prized monster, every fumble that royally screwed you, and most of all the friendships i developed through the game, wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for this man.

For all this and more i'll be there with my fellow gamers, giving gary the best send off that i can imagine. 

• 03-10-2008 3:53 AM In reply to

• NoirNevara
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 04-11-2006
    • Piqua, Ohio
    • Game Theorist
    • Points 21,570
    • Group (Gamer Wenches)
      Group (Gen Con United Nations)

I am such a nube! I haven't been table topping for very long so I am curious about the details of a  massive dice roll.  Do we all just roll at the same time, observe a moment of silence, then pick up our die and move along???  Just what happens at these things?

AKA Caed, Robin

Come visit me at the Peryton Publishing booth this year!
    Genizen
    Gamer Wench
    GenCon UN: Ohio Wasteland Delegate

Zombie Awareness Advocate

Zombie Walk Home Page/
    "I'm .... complicated"
    (Dorian Gray "LXG")

"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream only at night."Edgar Allan Poe, "Eleonora"

http://http://www.perytonpublishing.com

• 03-10-2008 5:07 AM In reply to

• one&only
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 01-21-2008
    • Da-Ville
    • Attendee
    • Points 1,650

If it wasn't for Gary I would not enjoy the current level of abuse I now recieve as DM. Count me and the boys in. There will be no need to roll to confirm this crit!
    "You know what ole Jack Burton says at a time like this?"

"Old Jack always says,...what the hell."
  • 03-10-2008 5:42 AM In reply to

• Brewski
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-02-2007
    • Vincennes
    • Gamer
    • Points 9,276
    • Dead Games Society
      Tester

NoirNevara:

I am such a nube! I haven't been table topping for very long so I am curious about the details of a  massive dice roll.  Do we all just roll at the same time, observe a moment of silence, then pick up our die and move along???  Just what happens at these things?

What I was invisioning is for someone who personally knew Gary say a few words. Maybe a prayer for those who wish and in unison everyone who is attending, bend down on one knee and roll their D 20. I'm guesseing do it in the RPG Hall, maybe even have D 20's to comemerate the event and have the proceeds either go to his family or his favorite charity. Maybe a registry book (designed as a spellbook) for those who attend to sign and write a quick thank you. I dont know. Just things that are floating around in my head.

Thats why I was calling out to Gen Con actual or someone who had a close working relationship with Big G to orginize something. I'm guesseing no one will know if anything is being set up until the event  schedule is posted in June.

If nothing gets set up by any of the big orginizers then I think we as the players who are looking for this to happen, orginize a time to do this. If left up to me, I guesse I would say noon Saturday in the RPG Hall. If it is set up like last year, there should be an area where they had a giant D 20 and a Troll on a tile game board.

So what do ya'll think, If nothing is officially orginized by Gen Con, we all meet in the RPG Hall at noon?

Maybe those who are present, take turn and give their own testamonials of how his gift has touched them and issue verbal thanks to him as he looks upon us.

Favorite words from the Con:
    "Many people ask me what my ring is made of and I tell them what real gamers use...Palladium." ~Josh~T.O.V.A. auctioneer
  • 03-10-2008 8:19 AM In reply to

• Sherilyn
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 03-01-2006
    • Columbus, Oh
    • Oracle of Gaming
    • Points 30,798
    • Group (Gamer Wenches)

Thats why I was calling out to Gen Con actual or someone who had a close working relationship with Big G to orginize something. I'm guesseing no one will know if anything is being set up until the event schedule is posted in June.

Marimac actually posted that they are definitely working on something.  We just don't know what it is yet.  I'm sure that once it is finalized and confirmed they will share it with us. 

• 03-10-2008 1:04 PM In reply to

• Brewski
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-02-2007
    • Vincennes
    • Gamer
    • Points 9,276
    • Dead Games Society
      Tester

Good. The idea to do a proper honoring of Gary is much bigger than I could possibly do. 

Favorite words from the Con:
    "Many people ask me what my ring is made of and I tell them what real gamers use...Palladium." ~Josh~T.O.V.A. auctioneer
  • 03-10-2008 5:58 PM In reply to

• NoirNevara
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 04-11-2006
    • Piqua, Ohio
    • Game Theorist
    • Points 21,570
    • Group (Gamer Wenches)

Brewski:

NoirNevara:

What I was invisioning is for someone who personally knew Gary say a few words. Maybe a prayer for those who wish and in unison everyone who is attending, bend down on one knee and roll their D 20. I'm guesseing do it in the RPG Hall, maybe even have D 20's to comemerate the event and have the proceeds either go to his family or his favorite charity. Maybe a registry book (designed as a spellbook) for those who attend to sign and write a quick thank you. I dont know. Just things that are floating around in my head.

Ah that along the lines of what I was thinking.  I will look forward to hearing what the great GenCon people come up with.  I am sure it will be great.  I do like the commemorative die idea.  Very fitting!

AKA Caed, Robin

Come visit me at the Peryton Publishing booth this year!
    Genizen
    Gamer Wench
    GenCon UN: Ohio Wasteland Delegate

Zombie Awareness Advocate

Zombie Walk Home Page/
    "I'm .... complicated"
    (Dorian Gray "LXG")

"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream only at night."Edgar Allan Poe, "Eleonora"

http://http://www.perytonpublishing.com

• 03-10-2008 10:07 PM In reply to

• Stran Ger
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-08-2006
    • Locked in a struggle for my sanity.
    • Oracle of Gaming
    • Points 26,343

I'm crossing my fingers about getting in the world record.  Dedicating it to Gary would be just a little bit of a way to show how much he meant to all of us.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak.
  • 03-10-2008 10:11 PM In reply to

• Ladyflame
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 03-02-2006
    • Indianapolis, IN
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 6,657
    • Group (Gamer Wenches)
      Group (Mavens)

Me and my dice will be there!

• 03-11-2008 6:46 AM In reply to

• cdsmith
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-20-2007
    • Columbus
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 4,391
      VIG

I had an idea.  I'm not too attached to it so chop it up any way that you want as it will not offend me in the slightest.

Mass Dice-Off.  It would have to work on the honor system at first.

Everyone rolls.  those with 11-20 stay in  those 0-10  out

Each roll should eliminate roughly half so it really wouldn't take too many rolls to get down to a reasonable number of people. 

winner ...gets?... does??   no clue here  maybe something assosiated with a charity or something?  $1 entry fee or some such?  winner gets a trophy but the money goes to Gary's fav charety???   Don't know,  help me out people or just toss this idea out the window makes no never mind to me. 

If you had a "stats" editor for real-life, would you use it?
  • 03-11-2008 1:47 PM In reply to

• Megs54
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-04-2007
    • Boston, MA
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 1,101
    • Group (Gamer Wenches)

this would be really cool

ds addicted
  • 03-12-2008 1:29 AM In reply to

• wrenn
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-12-2008
    • Lurker
    • Points 14

i am all for the mass roll, but i had a few other tribute ideas. my first thought was a candle carving competition event in memory of Gygax. sign ups on thurs. then on sunday the contestants get judged and light them in  his honor. or going with the dice theme gencon could collect d20's outside exhibition hall in a see thru container. once collected gencon could auction off the dice and send the proceeds to some nonprofit/ charity/ philanthropic org. or better create one. (the Gygax foundation). if such a foundation/ group was created it could be funded almost exclusively through gen con event donations and his people. this way even though he has died, his vision and legacy will never be forgotten.

please send me feed back.      

• 03-12-2008 5:26 AM In reply to

• Sherilyn
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 03-01-2006
    • Columbus, Oh
    • Oracle of Gaming
    • Points 30,798
    • Group (Gamer Wenches)

wrenn:
    my first thought was a candle carving competition event in memory of Gygax. sign ups on thurs. then on sunday the contestants get judged and light them in  his honor.

That's a wonderful idea.  :)  However it would probalby have to be done outdoors to light them since I'm sure there are fire codes that prevent open flames in a building. 

• 04-03-2008 10:29 AM In reply to

• sindee1966
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on 05-09-2006
    • Chicago, IL
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 675

I would guess that Sherilyn is correct and the organizers will plan something on a larger scale and will give us details when they are available. However, these are some great ideas and I bet a tribute event would be very well recieved. If someone wants to host something, you may want to register an event soon. I definitely don't have the time to plan and organize an event. If someone does, I'll gladly print and distribute flyers or help in other ways.  The submission form can be downloaded at http://community.gencon.com/files/folders/pmg/entry82087.aspx . I didn't see a cutoff date for event submission, but I would guess it is coming up soon. 

• 04-06-2008 5:23 PM In reply to

well however it happens...post the details and lets do it!

i will be there with dice in tow!

Just call me Med
Page 2 of 3 (49 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >