Gen Con Community

Welcome to Gen Con Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Cosplay weapons question

Last post 07-26-2008 3:42 PM by ConspiracyOfOne. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-22-2008 11:30 PM

Cosplay weapons question

I've got a friend trying to cosplay a character with a sword... I keep telling him no sword... but he's wondering if he recast it in plastic or fashioned it out of wood if they'd let him into the con.

Didn't see the faq on that. 

• 07-23-2008 1:08 AM In reply to

• BG Guy
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-17-2006
    • Battle Creek, MI
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 5,853
      Senior Volunteer

Re: Cosplay weapons question

The following is taken directly from the Gen Con Show Policies page 

Costumes & Weapons

To ensure the safety of all those attending Gen Con shows, we maintain a strict weapons policy. These policies are enforced at all times. Anyone who has questions about this policy should contact customerservice@gencon.com.

No working weapons are allowed to be carried, openly or concealed, at any time in the convention space. These include, but are not limited to: swords, daggers, pole arms, staffs, bows, katanas, wooden replicas, BB guns, pellet guns, cap guns, air-soft weapons, water guns, paintball guns, blow guns, squirt guns, or any other projectile item.

Items such as sword canes, switchblades, handguns, and bali-song (butterfly) knives, which may be legal to own or carry, are not welcome. Kindly leave them at home.

Lee Maile
    Forum MOD
    Gen Con Games Library LLC - Owner

Gen Con Attendee since 1980 - I missed only 1993, 1995, 1999 ... 31 years and no plans to stop!
  • 07-23-2008 5:47 AM In reply to

• tehana
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-07-2006
    • Gamer
    • Points 9,873
    • Group (Gamer Wenches)
      Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)

I've had no problems carrying guns before, Its just a good idea when you arrive to go first to the info desk and have security inspect them and "Tag" Them, which is when they put a certain colored zip tie on them so that they  can be identified as being inspected :)

• 07-23-2008 6:05 AM In reply to

• xeviq
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-12-2007
    • Springfield, OH
    • Attendee
    • Points 1,996

As far as I've observed, as long as melee weapons are obviously not real then it should be fine.

And for firearms, they cannot be able to launch or shoot ANYTHING.

I'm not white... I'm three shades from clear.
  • 07-23-2008 9:39 AM In reply to

I believe I have also seen things like swords, ginat hammers, etc--that were OBVIOUSLY costume related, being carried around.  Note:  carried, not play fighting or anything like that. Wink  We are plnning to to bring a toy light saber for a certain little guy to be a certain SW character. Big Smile  I am sure they will know it isn't real lol. Jedi

• 07-24-2008 6:26 PM In reply to

• Aklevah
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-07-2006
    • Washington, DC
    • Game Master
    • Points 12,219

Another option for a sword would be to use one of the latex covered foam ones such at Ed Hellen Armory sells

• 07-25-2008 7:56 AM In reply to

Latex covered swords....***giggling at the metal image, lol** Stick out tongue

• 07-25-2008 8:31 AM In reply to

• xeviq
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-12-2007
    • Springfield, OH
    • Attendee
    • Points 1,996

WildeEnchantress:

Latex covered swords....***giggling at the metal image, lol** Stick out tongue

So... much... possible... innuendo...

Brain... hurts...

I'm not white... I'm three shades from clear.
  • 07-25-2008 9:17 AM In reply to

There is a kendo class being offered.  You are required to bring your own shinai.  Does anyone know how this will work?

"I am a SEXY SHOELESS GOD of war" - Belkar Bitterleaf, OOTS

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. - Attributed to Alexander Fraser Tytler, Elements of General History
  • 07-25-2008 11:46 AM In reply to

• Ticktack
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-02-2006
    • Romulus, MI
    • Oracle of Gaming
    • Points 31,446
    • Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)
      Tester

I'm guessing its the same as if you buy a sword from the exhibit hall.  Have it wrapped up and take it directly to your car or hotel room (the event in this case)but you're not allowed to carry it around with you or out in the open.  Again, its just a best guess.

Life is like a box of chocolates..
    You never know when you'll get a nut

Artist, DoubleClickedComics.com [on hiatus. back someday]
  • 07-26-2008 1:35 PM In reply to

• starwind
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-02-2006
    • Indianapolis
    • Attendee
    • Points 2,095

Below is the information on costumes and weapons from the Gen Con policies section.

Costumes & Weapons

To ensure the safety of all those attending Gen Con shows, we maintain a strict weapons policy. These policies are enforced at all times. Anyone who has questions about this policy should contact customerservice@gencon.com.

No working weapons are allowed to be carried, openly or concealed, at any time in the convention space. These include, but are not limited to: swords, daggers, pole arms, staffs, bows, katanas, wooden replicas, BB guns, pellet guns, cap guns, air-soft weapons, water guns, paintball guns, blow guns, squirt guns, or any other projectile item.

Items such as sword canes, switchblades, handguns, and bali-song (butterfly) knives, which may be legal to own or carry, are not welcome. Kindly leave them at home.

Laser pointers, laser-aiming devices, or similar devices, may NOT be used in public, save for legitimate purposes such as a seminars, displays or other convention- sanctioned events in which a laser is needed.

20th and 21st Century Military Uniforms are prohibited from the convention. These include any uniform that can be construed as an official military uniform from any country, or any uniform that can be confused with uniforms worn in an active official capacity, such as security personnel, police officer, deputy, fire marshal, paramedic, etc. Uniforms of attendees currently on active duty are exempt, providing they are properly attired. Active military personnel are prohibited from carrying their firearms, regardless of whether they are licensed to carry them.

Purchased weapons, whether real or replicas, must be kept wrapped and then immediately removed from the premises following purchase.

Exceptions:

1. Boffer weapons have recently been given the opportunity to be carried during the convention. Boffer weapons are to be displayed as costume pieces or used in boffer weapon sanctioned events ONLY. Boffer weapons are NOT allowed to be swung, jabbed, thrust, or actively used in the convention center. Despite the safety foam, it is possible to injure attendees and create unsafe situations. Anyone brandishing these will be told to remove the boffer weapon from the show. Fans of boffer weapons have their fate in their own hands. If we see that people are taking advantage of this allowance by putting others in potential harm, they will be prohibited from the convention...again.
    2. Futuristic Replicas of non-existent weapons may be exempt, providing they are immediately and obviously recognizable as such. These can include the weapons pack on Ghostbusters and blasters carried by Stormtroopers. Gen Con LLC reserves the right to inspect these weapons at any time and/or to designate them as "Security-Approved", in a manner determined solely by Gen Con LLC.
    3. Costume Contest entrants are permitted to display real weapons, during the Costume Contest only. Weapons on display during this contest have the following restrictions: Each weapon must be peace-tied or bonded so that there is no chance for the dangerous part of the weapon inadvertently coming into contact with other attendees. These weapon displays are only allowed onsite during the Costume Contest hours of operation. All displays must arrive onsite and go directly to the contest and must be immediately removed from the convention center following the conclusion of the event.

Approval:

The designation of "Security-Approved" will be given to individual items at the sole discretion of Gen Con LLC. This designation may be revoked at any time at the discretion of Gen Con LLC., if the item is being used or brandished in an inappropriate fashion or if complaints are received regarding its display.

Designated security and staff members throughout the show will inspect costumes, weapons, and any other items. Any individual with a costume or weapon must submit to an immediate and mandatory inspection upon request.

Gen Con LLC appreciates the time and effort put into the creation of your costumes and replica items, but it is imperative that these items comply with these rules as well as local, state and federal laws.

Brandishing any weapon, replica or toy is not permissible. Brandishing is defined as the display of an item for the purpose of real or implied threat, or any act that may cause anyone to believe that the intent was there, real or implied. The intent is irrelevant under the law, and the brandishing of any weapon will be treated as assault upon another person.

Anyone found to be carrying, brandishing, or have in their possession, any weapon/firearm at any location associated with the con will be immediately expelled without refund and the offender will be reported to the authorities.

• 07-26-2008 3:42 PM In reply to

I carried these last year:

I didn't unsheath them at any time, but they could be mistaken as real just based on the handles.  No one ever stopped me to inspect them.  They are latex, but more realistic than most boffer weapons.  I guess you can try questionable items, just don't be surprised and upset if someone in authority asks you to return the item to your room.  I was fully prepared for that, it just never happened.  Your mileage may vary.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)