Gen Con Community

Welcome to Gen Con Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

No Dragonlance at the film fest?

Last post 08-19-2008 8:11 AM by jomarinomail. 30 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-01-2008 12:21 PM In reply to

• jomarinomail
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 06-08-2007
    • Jersey Shore
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 3,874
    • Group (Gamer Wenches)

Re: No Dragonlance at the film fest?

I LOVE Dragonlance, I even made myself a shirt that says "I <3 Caramon"... but that movie was so bad...

I would like to punch whoever thought the 3d 2d thing was a good idea.

Sure the story was great! It's right from the books! 

• 08-01-2008 12:37 PM In reply to

• Brewski
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-02-2007
    • Vincennes
    • Gamer
    • Points 9,038
    • Dead Games Society
      Tester

So if they re-did the movie in full 3d would that save the movie?

Favorite words from the Con:
    "Many people ask me what my ring is made of and I tell them what real gamers use...Palladium." ~Josh~T.O.V.A. auctioneer
  • 08-04-2008 7:42 AM In reply to

• takaris7
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-22-2008
    • Lurker
    • Points 10

Forget it, your not missing anything at all. I did a little review of it HERE.

It is as bad as you think it is and more. The animation was horrid and the entire way the story was done was horrible. I just don't see how could anyone be proud of something like this. It's just a shame. 

Brewski:

Mossi:

Yeah, it could be because the Dragonlance movie was baaaaaaaaaaaad.  

Thats pretty bad when the DL avatar forumite denounces the movie.

I havent seen it and video store arnt carring it so I was hopeing on getting a free view of it at the Con.

I guesse I'm not missing anything.

WWW.THEMIDDLEROW.COM
    WWW.THEMIDDLEROW.COM/FORUMS
  • 08-04-2008 1:34 PM In reply to

I didn't care for the movie. It was horrible. I am an avid Dragonlance Fan. Back in the mid 90's I ran a BBS based on Dragonlance and my SysOp name was Raistlin Majere. The worst part of it was that it was so bad that I couldn't imagine anyone making the second or third films. I suspect they spent way, way, way too much on the actors. The actors in the film include: Kiefer Sutherland, Lucy Lawless, Michael Rosenbaum, and Michelle Trachtenberg . Why you need big names like that for an animated film of a very select audience is beyond me. Hire some decent voice actors and do good animation.

I didn't care for the scene selection or what was left out. But I am rarely pleased with novel adaptions to film, I love the Lord of The Rings films but I wish you got to see the other scenes even if it was on DVD. But even if they had done a perfect and detail adaption of the book, the animation would have destroyed it . However it was better than the Xena, multipath adventures. OMG, I would rather stab my eyes out than watch that dren. I think it was the worst animation I have ever, ever seen.

• 08-12-2008 11:26 AM In reply to

• Jamie1km
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-07-2008
    • Lurker
    • Points 66

Folks,

Mixed reactions to the movie aside, we have successfully added the Dragonlance movie to the screening schedule and will be showing on Sunday morning at 9:30 AM. Margaret Weis will be there to introduce the film and answer a few questions for the fans.

For the record, I liked the script, liked the voice casting, LOVED the music, and experienced some disappointment with the animation. But it was still enjoyable and I loved seeing a beloved story told in this way.  

ID:    6851
    Title: Dragonlance: Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Jamie Chambers
    Vice President
    Margaret Weis Productions, Ltd.

Filed under:
  • 08-12-2008 12:11 PM In reply to

• Mossi
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 06-20-2006
    • Indy
    • Game Theorist
    • Points 25,324
    • Group (Gamer Wenches)
      Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)
      Group (Mavens)

Jamie1km:

Mixed reactions to the movie aside,

Oh, I don't think the reactions were mixed. Wink But that's cool that Margaret Weis will be there!  I * LOVED* the books so much and I suspect that part of the disappointment of the movie was because the intellectual property was so beloved.  If it were just any books, it wouldn't have mattered.

Having said that, when are you going to get Peter Jackson to make live action movies of them? 

For still there are so many things that I have never seen: in every wood in every spring there is a different green.
  • 08-12-2008 2:53 PM In reply to

I have meet Margaret Weis a couple times at her booth in the buyers hall. She is very nice lady. I have always loved her work especially Dragonlance. I have over 35 novels based on Krynn. I also have a complete collection of the DC comics that came out in the 90's.

I am interested in coming to event so I will try to attend.

Thanks for the information.

• 08-14-2008 7:21 AM In reply to

• Brewski
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-02-2007
    • Vincennes
    • Gamer
    • Points 9,038
    • Dead Games Society
      Tester

Against everyone recomendations, I purchased a copy.

I couldnt help it. It was $9 at Wal-Mart. I was going into it with an open mind....

It had a Heavy Metal feel to it but as the movie went on the animation did start to bug me. *shrugs*Oh well. At least it was $9. Maybe I should have waited to see it on Sunday and then ask Margaret "Why skimp on the effects?" I feel the animation would have been a better place to invest the big buck rather than the voice actors. I can almost garuntee that if other movies are made, the original voices wont be willing to voice again.

Favorite words from the Con:
    "Many people ask me what my ring is made of and I tell them what real gamers use...Palladium." ~Josh~T.O.V.A. auctioneer
  • 08-14-2008 6:29 PM In reply to

• atstepchild
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-02-2007
    • My Mind's in the Gutter, My body's in Columbus, OH
    • Gaming Encyclopedia
    • Points 47,471
    • Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)
      Group (Nascrag)
      Tester

Please do NOT blame Maraget or Tracey. They did not see the finished product much before we did. They did NOT have access to see the progress. They DID have SOME access to the audio, and a few of the actors who called for guidance. If you want Tracey's reaction to the movie, look up his podcast and listen to it. Contact me after I get back from the con, and I would gladly find the specific link to it. Do not hold this against Marget et al. Their control of Dragonlance is limited, to put it mildly.

Quote from Dragons of the Dwarven Depths, p259 ... Tas and Tanis talking after Tas says a prayer for the massacred Gully Dwarves.
    "It was good of you to think of that," said Tanis. "None of the rest of us did."
    "You're busy thinking big things," said Tas. "I keep track of the small stuff."

www.fatdragongames.com/ Cardstock models at great prices... by one of our own.
    www.kentuckyfriedgamers.com/ Friendliest forums on the web. Just Downhome Fun. YEEEHAAWWW!!!
    www.whosyergamers.org/wygms/ Indiana based group to provide free gaming and increased exposure.
    Gamers After Dark is for gaming adults looking for an upscale, higher quality party experience. We work to bring people together in a secure, non-threatening environment. Contact me if interested in details.

Who's Yer Con, February 21-23, 2014
    Filed under:
  • 08-14-2008 7:40 PM In reply to

• FaePooka
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 06-13-2006
    • Illinois
    • Game Master
    • Points 11,042
    • Group (Gamer Wenches)
      Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)

I don't hold it against them. I still love them both deeply.....

but I did nearly cry when I tried to watch it. It deserved so so so much more.

Don't take life so seriously, it's not permanent.

• 08-19-2008 8:11 AM In reply to

• jomarinomail
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 06-08-2007
    • Jersey Shore
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 3,874
    • Group (Gamer Wenches)

Mossi:
    I * LOVED* the books so much and I suspect that part of the disappointment of the movie was because the intellectual property was so beloved.  If it were just any books, it wouldn't have mattered.

I absolutely agree here. The books were so wonderful, I might have been dissapointed if it were anything but my vision...but I can hardly believe that what was produced was ANYONEs vision. I don't know what was going on there but it felt like there were too many cooks in the kitchen if that makes any sense.

All things aside, if they had picked *one* animation style I think it would have been better.

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2