Gen Con Community

Welcome to Gen Con Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

RPGA Events?

Last post 06-22-2010 6:16 AM by wavester. 72 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (73 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-08-2010 6:22 AM

• Gamenight
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-26-2008
    • New Jersey
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 1,170
    • Dead Games Society

RPGA Events?

Any idea when the RPGA events will be added to the event catalog?

• 04-08-2010 6:28 AM In reply to

• marimacc
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 03-01-2006
    • DC metro area
    • Gaming Know-it-All
    • Points 100,992
    • ForumsAdministrator

Re: RPGA Events?

Sorry, no. As of last night, those events had not been submitted.  If they are submitted soon, Derek can probably get them into the system by Sunday, but, we can't force people to submit events, only encourage them.
    Gen Con Forums Coordinator
    Gen Con SPA track Coordinator
    Gen Con Costume track Coordinator
    Code of Conduct

• 04-08-2010 8:15 AM In reply to

• Purrcatnip
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 06-16-2009
    • Hillsboro, OR
    • Attendee
    • Points 2,659
    • Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)

Yeah.. I hope they do it sooner than later. My friends and I created a DND team for the tournament.. and I know the tournament takes place a couple of hours for each day. Which brings the question of how do we register for other events? Or do we risk registering for a bunch of events and then just not showing up to them, if the rpga add's their events later? Its making me troubled and worried for the upcoming sunday. ~Purr
    "You remind me of the babe! What babe? The babe with the power! What power? Power of vodoo! Who do? You do! Do what? Remind me of the babe!" (The ulimate post editor)
  • 04-08-2010 8:35 AM In reply to

• Gamenight
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-26-2008
    • New Jersey
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 1,170
    • Dead Games Society

It is annoy as I build my con schedule around what RPGA events my friends and I register for.

• 04-08-2010 9:54 AM In reply to

• Derek Guder
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-02-2006
    • Seattle, WA
    • Gaming Encyclopedia
    • Points 89,041
    • ForumsAdministrator
      Gen Con LLC Staff

Gamenight:

It is annoy as I build my con schedule around what RPGA events my friends and I register for.

I know that the RPGA is a huge part of many, many people's experience at Gen Con and I'll do everything that I can to not only have them ready for registration on Sunday but also give people as much time as possible to build their schedules, but unfortunately there's only so much I can do.

I'm working with Wizards as closely as I can to get everything together in time. When I hear anything new, I'll let everyone know.

Derek Guder - Event Programming Manager
    derek.guder@gencon.com | 857.559.2420

Have questions about event submission? Gimme a call, send me an email or stop by the GM forum

Please do not send me a forum PM - feel free to email or call me directly.
  • 04-08-2010 10:30 AM In reply to

• Gamenight
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-26-2008
    • New Jersey
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 1,170
    • Dead Games Society

Thanks Derek

• 04-08-2010 11:51 AM In reply to

• wavester
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-02-2006
    • Ohio
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 4,952

and I am plugging away at things as fast as I can (you can lay some blame at my doorstep - I can take it).

Below is our big list of what we are doing at the show just an FYI for people while I keep chugging away.

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Gencon RPGA Schedule

D&D Convention Delve: Lair of the Dread Witch - D&D Dungeon Delve:         In the deep forest, a place of dark power lies, its corruptive influence seeping into the lands beyond its borders. Can you contain the threat of the dread witch, and stop her rituals before all falls into darkness? A 1st-level D&D convention delve, where you can play as often as you like, earning tokens that can be redeemed for prizes!

D&D Dark Sun Arenas: Glory and Blood - Dark Sun Arena Delve:       Seven city-states. Seven gladiatorial arenas. One chance at lasting glory. The crowds of Athas await as you compete for their favor and the title of Arena Master! Create your own 1st-level Dark Sun character on-site to earn glory, upgrade your equipment, and master the different arenas in the circuit. Play as often as you like. Each arena fight you win brings you closer to the ultimate prize!           

SPEC2-2 P1 - Tyranny's Bleak Depths - Living Forgotten Realms:       Rumors of an alliance between the Council of Blades in Mulmaster and a group of Banite Warlock Knights of Vaasa portend evil for the entire Moonsea region.  Your patron has asked you to join an expedition to the Delhalls, a mine rich in gems and copper where a recent earthquake has revealed new passages. The miners say that strange, haunting melodies resound in the depths, luring men to their deaths. While concealing your true allegiances, you must discover the source of this mysterious song and determine whether it will be an adversary or an ally in the fight against the Black Lord.  A Living Forgotten Realms Special adventure set in Vaasa for characters levels 11-14.

SPEC2-2 P2 - Tyranny's Bitter Frost - Living Forgotten Realms: Rumors of an alliance between the Council of Blades in Mulmaster and a group of Banite Warlock Knights of Vaasa portend evil for the entire Moonsea region. Your patron has learned that a weapon of great power, lost since the long-ago death of the Ice Queen Iyraclea, may be up for grabs, and the Warlock Knights have dispatched an expedition to retrieve it. Iyraclea once lived in a castle of sculpted ice somewhere in the northern reaches of the Great Glacier, built with the blessing and assistance of the goddess Auril. Perhaps the Frostmaiden herself may yet take an interest in these proceedings... A Living Forgotten Realms Special adventure set in Vaasa for characters levels 14-17.

SPEC2-2 P3 - Tyranny's Perilous Bastion - Living Forgotten Realms: Rumors of an alliance between the Council of Blades in Mulmaster and a group of Banite Warlock Knights of Vaasa portend evil for the entire Moonsea region. Two years ago, a great earthquake rattled northern Vaasa and Damara. The ruined Castle Perilous sloughed off crumbling stone and the marks of age, revealing a sleek and dark edifice beneath, covered with shimmering black runes of unknown purpose. A powerful Warlock Knight now attempts to breach the castle's defenses, and your patron fears that his efforts will succeed.  You must unlock the castle's secrets before the merciless lords of tyranny gain access to the ancient and terrible powers of the Witch-King Zhengyi.  A Living Forgotten Realms Special adventure set in Vaasa for characters levels 17-20.

MINI2-1 A Mourning of Ravens - Living Forgotten Realms      : Ravens Bluff has long been known as the City of Adventurers. In spite of the changes to the city wrought by the Spellplague, Ravens Bluff still offers untold opportunities for adventurers hoping to make a name for themselves. A new group of heroes are about to get their chance, when dangers from the city's past collide with the intrigue, greed, and pride of the present.  A Living Forgotten Realms adventure set in Ravens Bluff for characters levels 1-4.  This is the first part of the three-part "Return to Ravens Bluff" mini-campaign. For maximum enjoyment, it is recommended (but not required) that you play the mini-campaign adventures in sequential order, using the same character.

MINI2-2 Ravens Under the Midday Sun - Living Forgotten Realms: The tale of Ravens Bluff continues as a new generation of heroes find themselves caught in the whirl of intrigue and menace that only the City of Adventurers can provide. A Living Forgotten Realms adventure set in Ravens Bluff for characters levels 1-4.  This is the second part of the three-part "Return to Ravens Bluff" mini-campaign. For maximum enjoyment, it is recommended (but not required) that you play the mini-campaign adventures in sequential order, using the same character.

MINI2-3 Raven Knights - Living Forgotten Realms: An ancient threat has returned, and the fate of Ravens Bluff hangs in the balance. Only a handful of heroes know the truth and they have the opportunity to save the city. But are they up to the challenge?  A Living Forgotten Realms adventure set in Ravens Bluff for characters levels 1-4.  This is the third and final part of the three-part "Return to Ravens Bluff" mini-campaign. For maximum enjoyment, it is recommended (but not required) that you play the mini-campaign adventures in sequential order, using the same character.

CORE2-10 Upon the Sea of Stars (2 rnds) - Living Forgotten Realms: A power-hungry despot has seized control over the fabled earthmote Yaulazna. The Five Companies, now scattered, seek your help. How far are you prepared to travel and to what lengths will you go to confront the usurper? A two-round, high-flying Living Forgotten Realms adventure set in Yaulazna and seas beyond for characters level 17-20. This adventure is a loose sequel to CORE2-2 Rising of the Dark and a direct sequel to CORE2-3 High Infidelity.

D&D Classics: Curse of the Gray Hag - Classic Style – Ravenloft: The mists roll in at the village of Nightshade Hollows, where fearful residents are falling prey to a wicked denizen with a terrible secret. Can you unravel the mystery of the town’s curse before you succumb to it as well? A heroic-tier D&D adventure with characters provided.           

D&D Open Championship: A Hole in the World - D&D Championship:            Five heroes on their final epic journey must band together to save their world from the ravages of the Abyss. But stopping the world from the Abyssal assault isn’t enough; they must face down the demon lord responsible once and for all to end the threat! This D&D Open Championship is a qualifying round consisting of 5 encounters that must be passed in order to enter the final round. Epic-tier characters are provided. Form your team (5 + alternate) and prepare to prove your group can make it to the final round and be crowned D&D Champions!       

Learn to Play D&D - D&D Boxed Set: Have you ever wanted to give D&D a try? Maybe you’ve played a past edition of the game and want to check out what’s new. Our friendly staff will guide you through your first steps in world’s most popular fantasy roleplaying game. Stop on by, make your D&D character, and play through your first adventure. Everything’s provided!        

Castle Ravenloft Board Game Challenge – Boardgames: Explore the secrets of the new Castle Ravenloft board game as you play through one of the many adventures included. The mists of Ravenloft await, and perhaps, with a little luck and some teamwork, you can emerge from Strahd’s castle with your wits and your lives!    

Three-Dragon Ante Tournament - Three-Dragon Ante: Come play in a tournament with this fantastic D&D-themed card game! Players will participate in an opening round, and the table winners will form a final round. Decks will be mixed and matched between the original game and the Emperor’s Gambit game. Winners receive prizes!   

LFR Open Play - Living Forgotten Realms:       Get a table together and play any released one-round Living Forgotten Realms adventure in our library. Great chance to pickup something you missed or make some new friends.        

Dave C
    The Baldman
    Baldman Games
    RPGA Senior GM and Info Guy
  • 04-08-2010 6:20 PM In reply to

• Purrcatnip
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 06-16-2009
    • Hillsboro, OR
    • Attendee
    • Points 2,659

Hey Dave! I am little confused. Last year you had a championship but you could bring characters and it started at level 1 and went for 3 rounds. Are you not doing that this year? If not, then my team will have to do your epic tier one.. Will the characters be available for preview or handed out at the game for Epic-tier? Also, will that be printed for us or will we have to use the computers in the room like last year (if you forgot to bring a character)?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.
    ~Purr
    "You remind me of the babe! What babe? The babe with the power! What power? Power of vodoo! Who do? You do! Do what? Remind me of the babe!" (The ulimate post editor)
  • 04-09-2010 5:35 AM In reply to

• wavester
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-02-2006
    • Ohio
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 4,952

Purrcatnip:
    Hey Dave! I am little confused. Last year you had a championship but you could bring characters and it started at level 1 and went for 3 rounds. Are you not doing that this year? If not, then my team will have to do your epic tier one.. Will the characters be available for preview or handed out at the game for Epic-tier? Also, will that be printed for us or will we have to use the computers in the room like last year (if you forgot to bring a character)?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.
    ~Purr

Last years championship was the first time we let people bring their own characters. It is not something we are repeating this year. The DDC/DDO is normally a character provided event. So this year we are going back to that base and ramping things up to Epic levels. Characters may or may not be available for preview before the event. It is to far out to make a 100% call on that one. I will say that they'll either be out a few weeks before so everybody has a chance to see them or will be held tight to the chest so nobody sees them till they play (so it's fair). We will have them onsite so no printing needed. Just show up with your dice. This year is also two rounds with totally transparent scoring. So that should fix some common gripes as well.

Dave C
    The Baldman
    Baldman Games
  • 04-09-2010 5:48 AM In reply to

• Gamenight
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-26-2008
    • New Jersey
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 1,170
    • Dead Games Society

Hey Dave, I noticed on your list of events, that there are no mid-level LFR events.

• 04-09-2010 5:55 AM In reply to

SPEC 2-1 and ADCP 2-1 isn't being run? I was really hoping to do those since I've heard how fun they are on the Wizards messageboards. Looks like I'm going to have a tough time since all my characters are in the 1-4, 4-7 level range. Depending on finding a DM and Open Play kind of sucks.

• 04-09-2010 7:02 AM In reply to

• mochigohan
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 06-16-2009
    • The Netherlands
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 558

Dave,

Looking at the list you posted, I understand there will be no Heroic Tier adventures? I hope it's just a list of "special" RPGA adventures and that you didn't list the "normal" RPGA adventures.. I hope you can confirm this.

"Catch a snake and flick its head,
    Throw it in a halflings bed,
    snake gets angry, BITE, BITE, BITE!
    Stupid halfling wakes up dead!"
    - Training chant for goblin commandos (Ninth Verse)
  • 04-09-2010 7:46 AM In reply to

For the SPEC2 and MINI2 events will there be pre-gen characters provided?
    Beast: Oh, sure. Seven against a universe -- five against a universe. What possible difference can it make?
    Rogue: Alright, Bishop, take Deathbird and do what yall can..
    Beast: Umm.. I was actually being sarcastic. Mostly.
  • 04-09-2010 7:58 AM In reply to

• wavester
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-02-2006
    • Ohio
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 4,952

Sartredes:

SPEC 2-1 and ADCP 2-1 isn't being run?

They are not being run. SPEC2-1 could be run during an Open Play session (which has assigned judges and tickets in the system - finding your own judge is one option but we'll have more options onsite).

ADCP2-1 is not an adventure that would work well at Gencon. Different player base and dynamics (as well as size, noise, and room). You will find these types of events primarily at DDXP in January.

Dave C
    The Baldman
    Baldman Games
  • 04-09-2010 7:59 AM In reply to

• wavester
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-02-2006
    • Ohio
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 4,952

EnjoiThePureTrip:
    For the SPEC2 and MINI2 events will there be pre-gen characters provided?

No. They are Living Forgotten Realms adventures which means characters must be created using the rules in the CCG guidelines on the RPGA website. That is not to say that the LFR PTB might not make a handful of them up but there are no official pre-gens for LFR events.

Dave C
    The Baldman
    Baldman Games
  • 04-09-2010 7:59 AM In reply to

• wavester
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-02-2006
    • Ohio
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 4,952

mochigohan:

Dave,

Looking at the list you posted, I understand there will be no Heroic Tier adventures? I hope it's just a list of "special" RPGA adventures and that you didn't list the "normal" RPGA adventures.. I hope you can confirm this.

That is a list of all schedule LFR events for Gencon.

Dave C
    The Baldman
    Baldman Games
  • 04-09-2010 8:17 AM In reply to

As previous MINI events, are the Gen Con MINI modules 2-round adventures?

• 04-09-2010 9:17 AM In reply to

• bgardner
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-31-2010
    • Lurker
    • Points 38

evilaustintom:

As previous MINI events, are the Gen Con MINI modules 2-round adventures?

No, the three MINI events are one round each per the LFR campaing staff

http://community.wizards.com/lfr/blog/2010/02/06/return_to_raven%E2%80%99s_bluff

• 04-09-2010 10:17 AM In reply to

• Purrcatnip
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 06-16-2009
    • Hillsboro, OR
    • Attendee
    • Points 2,659

Hey dave,

One last question, and thank you alot for answering them. What does (5 + alternate) mean? Can you play with just 5? Or do you have to have 6? Or is it optional?

Trisha
  • 04-09-2010 10:35 AM In reply to

• wavester
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-02-2006
    • Ohio
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 4,952

Purrcatnip:
    Hey dave,

One last question, and thank you alot for answering them. What does (5 + alternate) mean? Can you play with just 5? Or do you have to have 6? Or is it optional? Trisha

Teams are 5 players (and you can only have 5 sitting at the table - no friends/girlfriends/etc.). If one drops out between rounds (disappears, joins a cult, passes out at the RAM, etc.) then you can swap in somebody to keep your table at 5. So this really only comes into play if you make the Finals on Sunday. This gives you a little flexibility and keeps a team from being DQ'd because that 5th guy they picked up on Thursday goes home early.

Dave C

Dave C
    The Baldman
    Baldman Games
Page 1 of 4 (73 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >