Gen Con Community

Welcome to Gen Con Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Places to Eat: The Unhealthy guide to Gencon

Last post 08-04-2010 10:47 AM by Sherilyn. 70 replies.
Page 3 of 4 (71 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-22-2010 4:29 PM In reply to

• Cali159
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 05-08-2009
    • River Falls WI
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 5,970
    • Group (Gen Con United Nations)
      Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)

Re: Places to Eat: The Unhealthy guide to Gencon

I am thinking a foodtrip to squealers barbecue is in order. check it out http://www.squealersbarbeque.com/index.php Brisket makes Cali happy too
    I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.-Oscar Wilde
  • 07-22-2010 4:34 PM In reply to

Cali159:
    I am thinking a foodtrip to squealers barbecue is in order. check it out http://www.squealersbarbeque.com/index.php Brisket makes Cali happy too

We may try this place on the way down from Milwaukee on Tuesday afternoon

• 07-22-2010 4:52 PM In reply to

For me it is White Castle. I lived in Indu until I was 10 and always look forward to have some gut bombs. I live in Colorado now and we can get them frozen, but it is not the same.

Need to add Steak and Shake to my list.

Beldar

Chris "Savage Mommy" Fuchs
    Smiling Jack's Bar Grill
    http://p5productions.com/sjbg/

Rocky Mountain Savages
    http://www.rockymountainsavages.com/
  • 07-22-2010 6:46 PM In reply to

• Sherilyn
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 03-01-2006
    • Columbus, Oh
    • Oracle of Gaming
    • Points 30,244
    • Group (Gamer Wenches)
      Group (Gen Con United Nations)

I'm still extremely partial to http://www.famousdaves.com/Indianapolis

They had some amazing brisket and also rib tips.  The sides were delicious and the portions were huge!

• 07-23-2010 9:02 PM In reply to

• flashman
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-23-2009
    • Points 74

Ooohh, I didn't realize Indy had a Famous Dave's; we have them in Flint and Saginaw, Michigan.  The rib tips are amazing!

• 07-23-2010 9:05 PM In reply to

• flashman
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-23-2009
    • Points 74

MarcJWaters:
    Five Guys got their start in DC... I went to their flagship restaraunt in NoVa. Man, I was so happy when I found out they were building them up here. I thought I had lost them forever when I moved out here

Oddly enough, one of the founders is from Alpena, Michigan, about an hour from my hometown.  I wish they had some near where I live in Lansing, MI.

• 07-24-2010 5:20 AM In reply to

• Sherilyn
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 03-01-2006
    • Columbus, Oh
    • Oracle of Gaming
    • Points 30,244
    • Group (Gamer Wenches)

Well you guys can come take all of our 5 guys shops here if you like... I don't want them. :D

I would much rather go to Wendy's and get a baconator than eat there.  They seem overpriced and the food isn't anything special.  They force you to buy a larger fry than you need and they have no kids menu.  I tried it more than once and at more than one location and just wasn't impressed. 

• 07-25-2010 9:41 AM In reply to

Well it is clear to me yet again that it is really hard to infuse a sense of levity on internet forums. Please know that my comment was mostly humorous and meant to be one of frivolity. My apologies.

"And we will all laugh at gilded butterflies..."

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is The Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you."
  • 07-25-2010 12:24 PM In reply to

On topic...

I, for one, am losing weight now in anticipation of all the weight I will gain at Gen Con.  I figure I'll take in 5000 calories a day or more.

• 07-25-2010 2:12 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-22-2007
    • Game Theorist
    • Points 16,365
    • Group (BYOV)

On topic, if anyone hasn't caught the Farmer's Market thread, there's a group of us that will be heading over (it's only blocks from the Con center) on Wednesday morning. Fresh baked goods, including crepes cooked to order on-site. For the Unhealthy guide to Gen Con, bringing some apple pie back for your friends is a good way to go :)

• 07-25-2010 3:48 PM In reply to

• Sherilyn
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 03-01-2006
    • Columbus, Oh
    • Oracle of Gaming
    • Points 30,244
    • Group (Gamer Wenches)

ConspiracyOfOne:

I, for one, am losing weight now in anticipation of all the weight I will gain at Gen Con.  I figure I'll take in 5000 calories a day or more.

I agree, I've lost 47 pounds now since the end of March so I think it's safe to say that I have a small buffer now :D

Fogo de Chao here we come!!

• 07-26-2010 8:52 AM In reply to

• Mossi
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 06-20-2006
    • Indy
    • Game Theorist
    • Points 25,356
    • Group (Gamer Wenches)
      Group (Mavens)

jj1969a:

OK, point well taken, leave the thread open, but can we change the title from its current fun-loving, funny "Unhealthy guide" to something a bit closer to what it has become?  It is a bit sneaky right now.

Waiting for Buca di Beppo...

I have hope yet we can get this sucker back on the rails.  For instance, in addition to the massive quantities of beer I'm going to drink, I'm also going to gorge myself silly at Fogo de Chao.  I am also going to eat an entire Mile High Mud Pie, and also possibly the Cookie Monster from Scotty's Brewhouse.

• 07-26-2010 9:10 AM In reply to

• jj1969a
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-05-2006
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 3,613

Oh, Le Peep, best breakfast I have found at GenCon!  There are even a few not terribly bad for you options that are great--blueberry granola pancakes, for one.  Of course, there is also the whole skillet eggs cheese potatoes-type items as well.  Awesome.

For those of you who can't do Fogo de Carnivore (forget name), try Buca di Beppo--massive plates of pasta for family style eating.  Wonderful, and a variety of cream sauces if that is your thing.

• 07-26-2010 9:10 AM In reply to

• soulcatcher78
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-18-2009
    • Jasper Indiana
    • Game Master
    • Points 10,589
    • Group (Gen Con United Nations)
      Tester

Mmmmm, Bucca has those softball size meatballs.  Definitely making a return trip there this year but now that I know how big the servings are I think we'll be splitting something (LY I ordered the spaghetti with 2 meatballs and she ordered the fettucini...pretty sure there were two boxes of pasta in each serving).

• 07-26-2010 11:21 AM In reply to

My wife and I went to Bucca last year...  Just a head's up, either get a reservation (if they have them there), or don't go as soon as the exhibition hall closes :-).

Deric

www.funnyderic.com
  • 07-26-2010 11:29 AM In reply to

Buca does indeed accept reservations. They also have Bucas To Go which - wait for it - You can order online and pick up. You can even set your pick up time. IE... stop by before the con, order it, set a pick up time of when the con closes, take it back to your hotel room and mow. Well worth it.
    "And we will all laugh at gilded butterflies..."

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is The Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you."
  • 07-26-2010 12:40 PM In reply to

• chemrebel
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 05-13-2008
    • FWA, IN
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 5,258
    • Group (Gamer Wenches)

slapymcgee:

My wife and I went to Bucca last year...  Just a head's up, either get a reservation (if they have them there), or don't go as soon as the exhibition hall closes :-).

Deric

Me and hubby ate there last year (Saturday dinner - 6pm-ish) and really liked the Chicken Parm but our side of potatoes came out cold.  It was so bad (...how bad was it???) the pat of butter put on top of them never.budged.the.entire.time.  We kept waiting, and the potatoes themselves didn't taste bad but it was downright comical to us.  Thankfully the manager took them off our bill, so I'd be willing to give BdB another try if the opportunity comes up.

We also enjoy LePeep breakfasts and usually go with our friends who live in Indy to the one close to them the morning we leave.  The blueberry granola pancakes were good but for me they were a bit on the "overkill" side. Tongue Tied

N., Proud Mother to the sole known survivor of Killer Breakfast

Good Advice: Never Moon A Werewolf.

• 07-26-2010 9:25 PM In reply to

• Noffham
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-03-2006
    • The Land of Enchantment
    • Game Theorist
    • Points 14,829
    • ForumsAdministrator

Folks-

This thread became the poster child for off-topic thead hijacking, and strayed into the vicinity of politics which is not allowed on the forums.

I've cleaned out ALL the off-topic posts and hope that useful on-topic discussion can continue.

If anyone has any questions/concerns please feel free to contact me, or any other Mod or Gen Con staff, via PM or e-mail.

We're all getting excited that the show is gettiing close but please don't let that make you forget the code of conduct or the need to treat all forumites with respect. Thanks!

Noffham
    Gen Con Forums Senior Moderator

Code of Conduct
  • 07-27-2010 5:03 AM In reply to

• jj1969a
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-05-2006
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 3,613

MarcJWaters:

Buca does indeed accept reservations. They also have Bucas To Go which - wait for it - You can order online and pick up. You can even set your pick up time. IE... stop by before the con, order it, set a pick up time of when the con closes, take it back to your hotel room and mow. Well worth it.

If you can plan it, make reservations now--it is the one place my friends and I make the effort to plan ahead for.  Another tip--if there are just two of you, ask if you can go to the bar.  It is tucked away in the back of the restaurant so noone seems to go there.  I have shown up in the middle of rush hour with a friend and no reservations, sat at the bar, and ordered a meal.  It is a small bar, though, so you aren't going to fit too many people there.

• 07-28-2010 8:29 AM In reply to

• syberhawk
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-04-2008
    • Indianapolis, Indiana
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 828

Better yet, get a bunch of people that you just met a the con and go as a group to Bucca.  Great way to get and know new people.

Of course the game is rigged but you can't win if you don't play. - Lazarus Long
Page 3 of 4 (71 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >