Gen Con Community

Welcome to Gen Con Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

GENCON exhibitor newbie question

Last post 02-12-2011 8:07 AM by starwind. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-26-2011 10:26 AM

• bcarnes
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-02-2006
    • Gamer
    • Points 8,506

GENCON exhibitor newbie question

What would be the best advice if someine were looking to set up dealer space for the first time at GENCON.  I have heard horror stories about cost and space and such.  We are a very small gaming operation and any money that we put forth is coming out of our own personal income.  i have a connected hotel room already so that is not a problem.  We are planning on running games too but I know that can be tricky as far as how things are designated.  Thanks

• 01-26-2011 12:09 PM In reply to

• AlanS
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-03-2007
    • The Hollows - KY
    • Game Theorist
    • Points 15,720
    • Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)
      Tester

Re: GENCON exhibitor newbie question

Here's the exhibitor site:

http://www.gencon.com/2011/indy/sm/exhibitors/default.aspx

Last year they had the 10X10 booths entrepeneurs (sp?) alley that were not real expensive...

Alan S
    'Neath grass unkempt, on slopes windswept,
    where crawlers crept, the Relic slept.
    When nations spread, men fought and bled,
    and on the dead, the Relic fed.
    As time wore on, with mankind gone,
    the Relic yawned: now was Its dawn.
    Crowed at last, Its evil massed,
    to conquer fast, this planet vast...
    -Unknown
  • 01-26-2011 12:31 PM In reply to

• bcarnes
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-02-2006
    • Gamer
    • Points 8,506

I did find the link.  I am having a problem opening the PDFs.  I was trying to get some advice from some others who have already done it.  thanks for any help you can give.

• 01-29-2011 7:28 PM In reply to

First time at Gencon last year for us, we got one of those nice cheap booths and were lucky enough to be picked for Marketing Fellowship.

We'd been doing conventions for some time before Gencon, and things weren't much different... just bigger. Make sure to plan out how your going to do stuff, practice any speechs/demos. Quadrupal check you have everything before you leave home (We managed to forget the legs to our tables... had to make my husband go find a home depot). Get the cheap booth, apply for Marketing Fellowship. If you've got something to show off at Trade day, do that too. Be friendly to your neighbors. Have more staff then you think you will need. On moveout day the only hand truck/dolley you'll find is the one you bring with you. Last year the Catan folks paid for wifi in the vendor's hall, but the signal wasnt strong enough to get to where the cheap booths were, but luckly my Phone's 3G could so we could ring up credit cards. Comfy shoes! If you can afford it, those workshop foampad tiles for the floor are a godsend.

Promote Promote Promote!  What are you bringing to Gencon?

~On The Lamb Games~
    http://www.on-the-lamb.com
    Creators of Legendary Realms (RPG), Brushfire: Historia Rodentia (Wargame), Science Boy Detective (RPG)
  • 01-29-2011 7:45 PM In reply to

• TheBundy
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-15-2006
    • The middle of an Indiana Cornfield!
    • Gamer
    • Points 10,085
    • Dead Games Society
      Tester

On The Lamb Games:

Comfy shoes! If you can afford it, those workshop foampad tiles for the floor are a godsend.

I can confirm this!!!  Those foampads for the floor can be picked up at Wal-Mart or Meijer for real cheap. They're in the automotive/hardware department. 

Also, keep water handy and some hard candies for your throat.  You can QUICKLY lose your voice.

Remember to eat.  You don't realize how much energy it takes to be ON for 8 hours straight.  Last year, I was pooped!!!

If you can afford it, sign up for the Cheese Weasel promotion (if they do it again).  A lot of people will show up at the booth, many just want their cards punched, but they all have to listen to the spiel.  We had a lot of increased sale due to this promotion.  We sold quite a few books to people who had never heard of the webcomic.

As for other costs, once you see the pdfs, you'll understand why you might need to bring the stuff with you, if at all possible.  We're lucky.  I live 45 minutes north of Indy so all the product is shipped to me to save money.

For best results: KEEP THEBUNDY OUT OF DIRECT SUNLIGHT!
  • 01-31-2011 6:39 AM In reply to

• starwind
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-01-2006
    • Indianapolis
    • Attendee
    • Points 2,095

Comfy shoes. If possible bring your own padded chair for breaks.  Also the padded floor mats are great. You do not need to do the whole booth just where you will be standing. They are usually under $20 for a package of mats.

You should have 2 people so you can take breaks. 

Make sure to attract people to your booth (candy, hand-outs, etc.) to make sure people stop by the booth. Too many times a smile does not always get people to stop at your booth. Something shiny or free candy will get people to stop so you can give your game pitch.

• 01-31-2011 7:13 AM In reply to

• bcarnes
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-02-2006
    • Gamer
    • Points 8,506

thanks.  some of this info we have familiariaty with because of running games for manty years.  It is primarially the getting in to the exhibity hall costs and stuff and placing.  we manufacture all of our stuff ourselves

thanks for the input

FYI our blog which gives a lot of info about is is blog.sailpowergame.com

• 02-01-2011 11:39 AM In reply to

Any advice on how much product to bring?  I know it can vary (product type, how long the product has been on the market, how much it has been advertised before, etc.) but any advice would be welcome.  In my case it is software that so far has only been sold on-line at my own site.  Should I bring as much as I sell in a given month?  2x as much?  1/2 as much?

• 02-05-2011 10:11 AM In reply to

• marimacc
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 03-01-2006
    • DC metro area
    • Gaming Know-it-All
    • Points 101,904
    • ForumsAdministrator

SowelBlack:

Any advice on how much product to bring?  I know it can vary (product type, how long the product has been on the market, how much it has been advertised before, etc.) but any advice would be welcome.  In my case it is software that so far has only been sold on-line at my own site.  Should I bring as much as I sell in a given month?  2x as much?  1/2 as much?

Personally, I would say bring as much as you can, without incurring insane expenses. What you don't want to happen is to run out of product on a Friday afternoon. If you are driving, I'd cram every possible space in your vehicle with product.
    Gen Con Forums Coordinator
    Gen Con SPA track Coordinator
    Gen Con Costume track Coordinator
    Code of Conduct

• 02-12-2011 8:07 AM In reply to

• starwind
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-01-2006
    • Indianapolis
    • Attendee
    • Points 2,095

SowelBlack:

The amount you bring depends on how you are getting it to the show. If you can bring extra do so if it is easy to transport back.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)