Gen Con Community

Welcome to Gen Con Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Would you play Pathfinder?

Last post 07-02-2011 6:48 AM by dballing. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-24-2011 10:34 AM

• NascragMan
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-01-2006
    • We LOVE generic tickets!
    • Oracle of Gaming
    • Points 27,081
    • Group (Nascrag)

Would you play Pathfinder?

Nascrag never really officially made a decision on D+D 3.5 vs. Pathfinder.  Pathfinder has many enthusiastic supporters while D+D 3.5 has many...apathetic supporters.  Hmmm, I'm not saying that right.  It just seems that inertia drives this decision more than anything.  Also, I think there is some concern that it could affect our attendance numbers if we weren't listed in the catalog under "Dungeons and Dragons".  Frankly, we are roleplaying heavy and rules-light in any case, so the difference is nominal.

But that's just background.  The question is more general.  If you are a D+D player, do you even look in the Pathfinder section?  Are Pathfinder events even under consideration?  How about the reverse?  Pathfinder players, do you look for D+D?  Or is D+D = D+D 4.0 in your minds?

Filed under:
  • 06-24-2011 6:11 PM In reply to

• organized
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-22-2008
    • Lake Michigan, Indiana
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 784

Re: Would you play Pathfinder?

Pathfinder is the only D&D type system that I play any more. It brought me back to gaming after a ten year lay over.  I have attended Gencon over the last four years, and will be there this year.  I have never entered a Nascrag event, but I do like the concept.  I would love to try if it was under the Pathfinder rules, but I have no plans to learn nuances the original 3.5 system. 

I generally try to play in several society events during the con.  

http://nwn.bioware.com/guilds_registry/viewguild.html?gid=462
    Role Play set in the Sea of Fallen Stars
  • 06-24-2011 8:13 PM In reply to

• Jason S
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-28-2009
    • Toronto, Canada
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 1,128

Pathfinder is a great system and it's what I exclusively play.

Having said that, the last NASCRAG event I played, it didn't really matter what rules system we used, I don't think we had a single combat.

Personally, I'd just stick with D&D 3.5 unless there are more players playing Pathfinder now. When I searched for NASCRAG, I typed in "NASCRAG", I didn't search in D&D specifically.

This question can probably only be answered by your long time loyal players (and the numbers between PF and D&D).

• 06-24-2011 8:16 PM In reply to

I play in a weekly D&D 3.5 game and a monthly Pathfinder game.  However, I only look for Pathfinder games at Gen Con.  While I can easily move between the two game systems, I feel Pathfinder is superior.  I really only play the 3.5 because the GM had never played Pathfinder.   

President of the Anti-Jackass Face Punching Squad.
    If you have a Jackass, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... the Anti-Jackass Face Punching Squad!
    Decatur Gamers.

• 06-24-2011 9:06 PM In reply to

• organized
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-22-2008
    • Lake Michigan, Indiana
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 784

Pathfinder has been matching Wizards 4.0 in quarterly sales for about a year.  There are almost certainly more people actively playing Pathfinder than 3.5 these days.

I would suggest posting a similiar inquiry on the Paizo forums, and perhaps some place like 3.5 Private Sanctuary.

http://nwn.bioware.com/guilds_registry/viewguild.html?gid=462
    Role Play set in the Sea of Fallen Stars
  • 06-24-2011 9:34 PM In reply to

• CrzyCanuck
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-12-2007
    • Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada
    • Game Theorist
    • Points 17,900
    • Group (Gen Con United Nations)
      Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)
      Tester

organized:

Pathfinder has been matching Wizards 4.0 in quarterly sales for about a year.  There are almost certainly more people actively playing Pathfinder than 3.5 these days.

I would suggest posting a similiar inquiry on the Paizo forums, and perhaps some place like 3.5 Private Sanctuary.

Having Dm'ed both Pathfinder and before that DnD 3.5 I think its a mute point which system you use if NASCRAG is using rules lite as it were. Both systems are very well done, and neither chosen or changed should impact NASCRAG.

~CrzyCanuck (formerly Cdnvanguard)~ President of the Gen Con United nations -"Bringing together all nations in the ongoing fight against imaginary antagonists."

Best friends are the people that know all about and still put up with you!
  • 06-25-2011 5:19 PM In reply to

• atstepchild
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-02-2007
    • My Mind's in the Gutter, My body's in Columbus, OH
    • Gaming Encyclopedia
    • Points 47,471
    • Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)
      Group (Nascrag)
      Tester

NASCRAG uses rules? I thought it was closer to the Amber Diceless System. Someone told me once that if you get into combat at NASCRAG, you screwed up. Also, I was told you get docked points if you pull out a rule book. Both point to 'don't worry about the system'. If nothing else, drop the gaming system completely and just list it under NASCRAG and be done with it.

Quote from Dragons of the Dwarven Depths, p259 ... Tas and Tanis talking after Tas says a prayer for the massacred Gully Dwarves.
    "It was good of you to think of that," said Tanis. "None of the rest of us did."
    "You're busy thinking big things," said Tas. "I keep track of the small stuff."

www.fatdragongames.com/ Cardstock models at great prices... by one of our own.
    www.kentuckyfriedgamers.com/ Friendliest forums on the web. Just Downhome Fun. YEEEHAAWWW!!!
    www.whosyergamers.org/wygms/ Indiana based group to provide free gaming and increased exposure.
    Gamers After Dark is for gaming adults looking for an upscale, higher quality party experience. We work to bring people together in a secure, non-threatening environment. Contact me if interested in details.

Who's Yer Con, February 21-23, 2014
  • 06-27-2011 12:24 AM In reply to

• mochigohan
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 06-16-2009
    • The Netherlands
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 558

Our homegroup currently plays Piazo's Kingmaker adventure path, but we have a mixture of 3.5 and pathfinder rule.

Yes, I would play pathfinder, but as always: use the rules you like and discard the ones you don't (and substitute them with your own) Big Smile

"Catch a snake and flick its head,
    Throw it in a halflings bed,
    snake gets angry, BITE, BITE, BITE!
    Stupid halfling wakes up dead!"
    - Training chant for goblin commandos (Ninth Verse)
  • 06-27-2011 5:23 AM In reply to

• bbradburn
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2006
    • Brownsburg, IN
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 1,077

Our group has converted over to Pathfinder completely as far as D&D 3.5 goes.  We do play D&D 4th also.  Actually our group plays about any game.  In our groups mind, now D&D = Pathfinder and D&D 4th = W.O.W.   

• 06-27-2011 8:16 AM In reply to

• Mossi
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 06-20-2006
    • Indy
    • Game Theorist
    • Points 25,324
    • Group (Gamer Wenches)
      Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)
      Group (Mavens)

I tried D&D 4.0, and hated it, so I went back to 3.5.  I still enjoy it, but I've also just bought the Pathfinder Core Rulebook, so I'm going to be exploring that.  I've heard from too many enthusiastic people who love it to avoid it anymore.  I would play either!  

For still there are so many things that I have never seen: in every wood in every spring there is a different green.
  • 06-27-2011 1:30 PM In reply to

• roleplaynotrollplay
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-08-2007
    • Noblesville,IN (Translocated from Arkham, Mass.)
    • Attendee
    • Points 2,518
      Group (Nascrag)

Having played in the NASCRAG games for the past decade and having played extensively both D&D 3.5 and Pathfinder, I believe that switching to Pathfinder would up the number of potential attendee's to NASCRAG. Pathfinder is a much more popular system for 3.5 and would really have no effect on the actual NASCRAG story, or make it more difficult to run or play. And any of the hardcore NASCRAG players are going to play no matter what, especially with such a minor switch to the game. Remember NASCRAG is about roleplaying and puzzles and fun, not the system it is based upon.
    "There have been times when only a hair's-breadth has intervened betwixt myself and the seething devil-ridden world of madness; for the hideous knowledge, the horror- blackened memories which I have carried so long, were never meant to be borne by the human intellect. "
    — Clark Ashton Smith
  • 06-27-2011 5:35 PM In reply to

• GaGo-Gene
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-03-2006
    • Indiana
    • Game Theorist
    • Points 19,047
      Tester

I haven't really played Pathfinder, but also really haven't played D&D since the advanced version. That said we played NASCRAG a couple of years ago with no trouble. Don't really even remember rules even coming up. I do agree you broaden you appeal with the popularity of Pathfinder
  • 07-02-2011 3:54 AM In reply to

• rc7771
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-14-2006
    • Yuma, AZ
    • Attendee
    • Points 1,841

My group has played, and is actually currently playing a Pathfinder game. (Our current DM is actually running Rappan Athuk Reloaded using Pathfinder rules). To be honest, we have basically found that Pathfinder is 3.75e of D&D. It cleans up a lot of rules, and makes the game flow better. It can be as roleplaying or rules heavy as you want it to be, just like pretty much anything else out there. I'd say you can't lose with making the change.

The other nice thing about Pathfinder is that if you're like me, and have a huge collection of 3.0 and 3.5 books, you can use them with Pathfinder without any really major editing. A few tweaks here and there, and your old stuff works just fine with the system.

• 07-02-2011 6:48 AM In reply to

• dballing
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-24-2006
    • Hurley, NY
    • Gamer
    • Points 10,573
      VIG

My suggestion to you would be to do what I did last year.

At the end of every session, I polled my players with something like "The only 3.5 game I am involved in any more is this event. We've switched completely to Pathfinder at home. Would it change any of your opinions on attending if, next year, it was a Pathfinder game?" Don't let it devolve into a "which is better" conversation, just straight up "straw poll" type of thing.

I had not a single person out of approx 50 players say that it'd be an issue. Obviously "my players are not your players" so you shouldn't just take their word for it, but that seems to be the easiest way to do it.

Good luck!

Cheers,
    D

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)