Gen Con Community

Welcome to Gen Con Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Got a weird email from Housing

Last post 06-30-2011 8:05 AM by marimacc. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-29-2011 7:16 AM

• jaults
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-28-2006
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 443

Got a weird email from Housing

I just received this email from groupcampaigns@pkghlrss.com, with a subject line of Important information regarding your upcoming stay in Indianapolis:

Dear Gen Con attendee,

We’re sorry to inform you that your guestroom request at the Sleep Inn Airport hotel cannot be honored due to unexpected change of management and inability to guarantee the amenities and/or accommodations originally offered to Gen Con attendees.

Your reservation request will be transferred to the Days Hotel and Conference Center Indianapolis Airport located at 5860 Fortune Circle West Drive, Indianapolis, IN  46241 unless you notify the ICVA housing bureau of your desire to change or cancel your reservation request by 5 PM eastern time Tuesday, July 5, 2011.

The Days Hotel and Conference Center is a business-class hotel offering the same room rates and similar amenities to Gen Con attendees, including the special convention amenities such as free shuttle service to downtown Indianapolis daily, free breakfast daily, and late night gaming in a common area of the hotel.

Should you wish to change or cancel your previous reservation request, please contact the ICVA housing bureau by phone (317-262-8191) or email (housing@visitindy.com) and they’ll do their best to accommodate you and/or waive cancellation fees as applicable.

If you approve transfer of your original reservation request to the Days Hotel & Conference Center, no further action is required. You will automatically receive an updated reservation acknowledgement via email once the transfer process has been completed, and you retain the option to change or cancel until 5 PM eastern time, July 25, 2011.

We apologize for any inconvenience and look forward to assisting you as needed. Thank you for your attention and understanding. 

Sincerely,

Gen Con management

This  is especially strange since I don't have reservations at the Sleep Inn Airport hotel. I checked the housing website, and my reservations seem to still be intact, but boy, did my heart drop when I read this.

Anyone else get these weird emails?

Thanks,

Jason

• 06-29-2011 7:19 AM In reply to

• Elf_NFB
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-19-2006
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 284

Re: Got a weird email from Housing

I received the same email. I'm hoping there isn't anything wrong with my reservation.
  • 06-29-2011 7:21 AM In reply to

• bcarter
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-08-2006
    • South Bend, IN
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 505

Same here, and I'm supposed to be at the JW Marriott. I think something probably slipped a cog somewhere.
  • 06-29-2011 7:22 AM In reply to

• Cobos
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-01-2006
    • Oslo, Norway
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 844
    • Senior Volunteer

I got the same email and sent it back to housing. I suppose this means that the cut Sleep Inn but somehow managed to send the information not to the people with reservations there but EVERYONE that housing has emails on :( 

Cobos

If you are not part of the solution you are part of the precipitate!
  • 06-29-2011 7:29 AM In reply to

• Feldaan
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 10-16-2007
    • Urbana Ohio
    • Attendee
    • Points 1,951
    • Dead Games Society
      Group (Gen Con United Nations)
      Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)
      VIG

I called housing. The e-mail was sent to people it shouldn't have been, I'm at the JW Marriott and also the SpringHill Suites so I'm guessing it was people at those hotels who got it by mistake?
  • 06-29-2011 7:30 AM In reply to

I got this as well... hopefully by mistake as I don't have a reservation at Sleep Inn

• 06-29-2011 7:32 AM In reply to

• The Chronek
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-01-2006
    • near Oak Park, Illinois
    • Game Theorist
    • Points 13,277
    • Group (Gen Con United Nations)

Got the same email. I double-checked my reservation online just to be sure, and I'm still at the Marriott.

Charter member: NSSSTEAA, the Not So Secret Society To Eliminate All Acronyms
    Le fromage est dans mes pantalons.
    What's the matter, boys? Role-playing game end too soon?
    Filed under:
  • 06-29-2011 7:35 AM In reply to

• Glory
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 12-14-2006
    • Chicago
    • Game Theorist
    • Points 15,989
    • Group (Gamer Wenches)

I got it too. Not to worried about it... we're at the Westin.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket "When life gives you lemons... squirt your enemies in the eye."
  • 06-29-2011 7:36 AM In reply to

• kmorris
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 01-05-2008
    • South Bend In
    • Attendee
    • Points 1,712

Yep, I got it too. I tried to call housing but couldn't get through.

• 06-29-2011 7:36 AM In reply to

I did too! I'm thinking they must have sent a mass email to everyone (which is stupid in my opinion, because it's going to cause a lot of worried people to flood the housing lines) regardless of what hotel they booked. 

I still have my confirmation so I'm not going to worry about it!

• 06-29-2011 7:42 AM In reply to

• DaveB
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-29-2011
    • Lurker
    • Points 10

ShayDeeWil:

I did too! I'm thinking they must have sent a mass email to everyone (which is stupid in my opinion, because it's going to cause a lot of worried people to flood the housing lines) regardless of what hotel they booked. 

I still have my confirmation so I'm not going to worry about it!

Yeah, I got one as well. I'm meant to be in the Hyatt Regency, and my reservation seems intact.

Hopefully they'll be able to send an "ignore that one" email out, if only to save themselves the hundreds of phone calls.

• 06-29-2011 7:43 AM In reply to

• Cobos
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-01-2006
    • Oslo, Norway
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 844
    • Senior Volunteer

Yes I got a reply from my email, that says this was intended for those with bookings at Sleep Inn and was sent in error. Seems to not be dangerous just something to spice up the housing people's day :) 

Cobos

If you are not part of the solution you are part of the precipitate!
  • 06-29-2011 7:49 AM In reply to

• tman264
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-14-2006
    • Traverse City, MI
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 4,174
    • Group (Gen Con United Nations)

Great, I have a minor heart attack this morning a month before the con due to an e-mail.  I am a sheep, so I called just now, and they have a programmed message explaining the mistake.  All clear, game on!

My new current goal is to be present for Gencon 75, without missing one in between - except for 2013, because my posse is lame-sauce.
  • 06-29-2011 7:52 AM In reply to

Well, if everyone attending Gencon mistakenly gets transferred to the Days Hotel and Conference Center Indianapolis Airport, I'll see you at the Continental Breakfast.
  • 06-29-2011 7:55 AM In reply to

• Valour
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 07-24-2006
    • CT
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 459

@waytoomuchcoffee - good one! First freezer bag bagel is on me!
  • 06-29-2011 3:02 PM In reply to

• NDGeekboy
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-03-2006
    • The Black Hole of North America
    • Gaming Encyclopedia
    • Points 43,444
    • Tester

Yeah, that mass email was pretty much of an oops. It looks like it was just supposed to go to those with reservations at the Sleep Inn. It's also been discussed in the "Scam Gen Con Email" thread.

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different.
    - Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

You see, you just can't trust anyone. The first time I let a girl into my life and she tried to eat me.
    - Columbus, Zombieland

I guess that's what my horoscope meant when it said, "Ka-Boom."
    - Al Bundy, Married: With Children

The fundamental cause of trouble in this world is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
    - Bertrand Russell
  • 06-30-2011 8:05 AM In reply to

• marimacc
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-28-2006
    • DC metro area
    • Gaming Know-it-All
    • Points 101,688
    • ForumsAdministrator

Yup, no need to worry, and it only impacts the few people who have reserved rooms at that hotel.
    Gen Con Forums Coordinator
    Gen Con SPA track Coordinator
    Gen Con Costume track Coordinator
    Code of Conduct

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)