Gen Con Community

Welcome to Gen Con Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

So how boned am I?

Last post 08-08-2011 7:08 PM by ConspiracyOfOne. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-16-2011 4:05 PM

• emdub
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-13-2011
    • Chicago, IL
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 852

So how boned am I?

I arrive late Thursday night, about midnight local time, and I have at least one event as well as a lot of pickup AYAW to play. Problem is i won't be able to pick up my badge until 7am the next day so I'll be badgeless wandering the convention center. I remember last year the guards doing checks and I'm hoping I can show them my badge receipt and ID to show that I purchased a badge but haven't been able to pick it up yet. I really wanna get some gaming in when I get there. So... how boned am I? Any chance they'll let me stay and play without my badge?
    ---
    Visit my Werewolf strategy site at www.werewolf101.com and see you at Gen Con!
  • 07-16-2011 4:13 PM In reply to

• atstepchild
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-02-2007
    • My Mind's in the Gutter, My body's in Columbus, OH
    • Gaming Encyclopedia
    • Points 48,865
    • Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)
      Group (Nascrag)
      Tester

Re: So how boned am I?

My unofficial guess would be:

For the pickup games late at night, you shouldn't be too bad off. For the ticketed event, it might be a different story. You probably can't get someone to pick up your Will-Call for you because of having to show an ID, etc. Just how late is late as far as arriving?

Quote from Dragons of the Dwarven Depths, p259 ... Tas and Tanis talking after Tas says a prayer for the massacred Gully Dwarves.
    "It was good of you to think of that," said Tanis. "None of the rest of us did."
    "You're busy thinking big things," said Tas. "I keep track of the small stuff."

www.fatdragongames.com/ Cardstock models at great prices... by one of our own.
    www.kentuckyfriedgamers.com/ Friendliest forums on the web. Just Downhome Fun. YEEEHAAWWW!!!
    www.whosyergamers.org/wygms/ Indiana based group to provide free gaming and increased exposure.
    Gamers After Dark is for gaming adults looking for an upscale, higher quality party experience. We work to bring people together in a secure, non-threatening environment. Contact me if interested in details.
    Who's Yer Con, April 17-19, 2015
  • 07-16-2011 4:29 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-22-2007
    • Game Theorist
    • Points 16,365
    • Group (BYOV)

Call Gen Con and see if you can sign someone up to be able to pick up your badge. Can't hurt to ask.

• 07-16-2011 4:30 PM In reply to

• emdub
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-13-2011
    • Chicago, IL
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 852

atstepchild:

My unofficial guess would be:

For the pickup games late at night, you shouldn't be too bad off. For the ticketed event, it might be a different story. You probably can't get someone to pick up your Will-Call for you because of having to show an ID, etc. Just how late is late as far as arriving?

I'm not worried about the games themselves. Pickup games are just pickup games, the ticketed event is being run by a friend so he knows I'll get him back in the morning for my generics. Hell, I'm sure someone would be willing to sell me a handful of generics for cash if push came to shove. I already emailed customer service so I know no one can pick up my packet (badge/tickets) for me, it has to be me. My concern is physically being in the ICC itself. I don't need to get kicked out! Anyway, late is midnight local time. The Amtrak from Chicago has one departure time and it arrives downtown at 11:50 or so, likely later if their on-time record is to be believed.
    ---
  • 07-16-2011 5:00 PM In reply to

• qmslager
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-30-2010
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 3,840

Why are you leaving chicago so late, do you have work early thursday?  Or do you just not want to use the bus?  While I normally expound the virtues of Amtrak since I never fly, the bus ride to indy isn't taht bad and leaves more often and gets their earlier

• 07-16-2011 5:20 PM In reply to

• emdub
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-13-2011
    • Chicago, IL
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 852

Without going into details, let's just say I prefer the train. But even that preference aside, the bus would get there at 8:40pm which is after registration/will-call closes so I'd be in the same boat regardless. I'm fairly confident that my easy going nature and charm will get me past at least a couple security guards. I can be very disarming when I want to be. I'm just glad I switched up my housing and am now rooming with someone who checks in on Thursday. Up until yesterday my hotel reservation was for Friday so I'd be 400% more boned if I couldn't stay in the ICC until morning playing AYAW. :)
    ---
  • 07-16-2011 5:49 PM In reply to

• mistimp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-26-2010
    • FL
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 288
    • VIG

Note that this is just my opinion, but I think you will be fine. In all my years of going to the con, I have only really seen people get badge checked at the dealer hall. Guests of the hotels use the hamster tubes and icc hallway to go to and from the mall in the evening.
    Amy

My blog http:mistimp.blogspot.com
  • 07-16-2011 6:01 PM In reply to

• emdub
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-13-2011
    • Chicago, IL
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 852

I hope you're right. My experience last year was security doing a badge check around midnight for anyone playing Werewolf in the ICC hallway. I think it's silly not being able to have your badge set aside or authorize someone to pick it up for you.
    ---
  • 07-16-2011 10:06 PM In reply to

• Hand of Evil
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-07-2006
    • Columbia SC
    • Game Master
    • Points 11,598

I am sure it is policy NOT to allow others to pick up badges.  I would contact customer service and have your badge sent to you if possible.  Either way, CONTACT customer service and discuss your options. 
  • 07-17-2011 8:48 AM In reply to

depends which halls you go into, i only ever get asked for a badge when entering the dealers or ccg hall during "prime" hours. Later on its just security/workers walking around and not much of a hassle. All else fails have your friend "borrow" someones badge and meet you so he can bring you in and give the other persons badge back. works every time.
  • 07-17-2011 10:35 AM In reply to

• Laertes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-27-2006
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 3,524

For rpgs I have had people come into rooms to do a badge check at least 25% of the time, even late in the day. Midnight might be different.
  • 07-17-2011 11:34 AM In reply to

• emdub
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-13-2011
    • Chicago, IL
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 852

I think my original quandary got lost somewhere in translation. Here's the gist: arriving at midnight, attending one scheduled event, after that going to play Werewolf in the ICC hallways until way late. My problem isn't so much getting into the scheduled event, I can always skip that, but with the random hallway checks by security. I'm a paid attendee, just won't have my badge until the following morning. I think, in the end, I'll just have to chance it and hope security is cool.
    ---
  • 07-17-2011 12:15 PM In reply to

• atstepchild
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-02-2007
    • My Mind's in the Gutter, My body's in Columbus, OH
    • Gaming Encyclopedia
    • Points 48,865
    • Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)
      Group (Nascrag)
      Tester

Worse case scenario, you could pick up games of AYAW in hotel lobbies, probably. I'd say as long as you have your confirmation with you and explain your scenario, you should be OK. I wouldn't push any issues though, because technically, they would be in the right.

Quote from Dragons of the Dwarven Depths, p259 ... Tas and Tanis talking after Tas says a prayer for the massacred Gully Dwarves.
    "It was good of you to think of that," said Tanis. "None of the rest of us did."
    "You're busy thinking big things," said Tas. "I keep track of the small stuff."

www.fatdragongames.com/ Cardstock models at great prices... by one of our own.
    www.kentuckyfriedgamers.com/ Friendliest forums on the web. Just Downhome Fun. YEEEHAAWWW!!!
    www.whosyergamers.org/wygms/ Indiana based group to provide free gaming and increased exposure.
    Gamers After Dark is for gaming adults looking for an upscale, higher quality party experience. We work to bring people together in a secure, non-threatening environment. Contact me if interested in details.
    Who's Yer Con, April 17-19, 2015
  • 07-17-2011 2:56 PM In reply to

• NDGeekboy
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-04-2006
    • The Black Hole of North America
    • Gaming Encyclopedia
    • Points 43,566
    • Tester

Unless the Late Night Registration desk mentioned in your other thread pans out, the best I can suggest is keeping your ID and receipts handy (including and especially the one for your badge). If security stops you, show them and explain the situation. With luck -- a lot of luck -- you might find a guard with a sympathetic ear.

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different.
    - Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

You see, you just can't trust anyone. The first time I let a girl into my life and she tried to eat me.
    - Columbus, Zombieland

I guess that's what my horoscope meant when it said, "Ka-Boom."
    - Al Bundy, Married: With Children

The fundamental cause of trouble in this world is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
    - Bertrand Russell
  • 07-17-2011 8:18 PM In reply to

• Hand of Evil
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-07-2006
    • Columbia SC
    • Game Master
    • Points 11,598

emdub:
    I think my original quandary got lost somewhere in translation. Here's the gist: arriving at midnight, attending one scheduled event, after that going to play Werewolf in the ICC hallways until way late. My problem isn't so much getting into the scheduled event, I can always skip that, but with the random hallway checks by security. I'm a paid attendee, just won't have my badge until the following morning. I think, in the end, I'll just have to chance it and hope security is cool.

As I said earlier:  CONTACT customer service and discuss your options, best option is to call them.  The longer you wait, the more boned you MAY find yourself!  

• 08-08-2011 2:53 PM In reply to

• emdub
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-13-2011
    • Chicago, IL
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 852

So an update! Post-con, of course. I arrived, went to the ICC straight from the train and grabbed a lanyard from one of the reg booths. Hung that baby out of my pocket and found the Werewolf group upstairs and kept out of the wandering blue and yellow-clad security folk. I made it through the night and luckily so because damned if they didn't do wandering checks every other night I was there! All in all, success but only by the hair on my chinny chin chin. Viva Gencon, long life the werewolves!
    ---
  • 08-08-2011 6:14 PM In reply to

• Murphoid
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-29-2006
    • Indianapolis, IN
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 4,647
    • Group (Mavens)

Your story makes em wonder, If one forgot their ID would Will Call accept a fax of your drivers license?

Regards,

The Amazing Murphoid

Check out my D&D Campaign

• 08-08-2011 7:08 PM In reply to

Murphoid:
    Your story makes em wonder, If one forgot their ID would Will Call accept a fax of your drivers license?

I got a traffic ticket and didnt have my license for Gen Con.  I called Customer Service and they said you HAVE to have a picture ID.  I got around it by going to the DMV and getting an ID card--looks very much like a driver's license.  Dont know if they would accept a fax or not...

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)