Gen Con Community

Welcome to Gen Con Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Pathfinder Society and Paizo Events

Last post 07-14-2013 10:55 PM by Jason S. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-01-2013 1:46 PM

• coastiemike
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-01-2006
    • Seattle
    • Attendee
    • Points 1,853
    • Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)

Pathfinder Society and Paizo Events

From my blog this past Monday:

For Gen Con 2012, I advised last year that we planned to make it the biggest and best Gen Con yet. And it certainly was. We scheduled 750 tables of Pathfinder Society over the four days. We showed the world our GM 101 workshops, Kids' Track, and Beginner Box Introductions. Gen Con was definitely a success and Paizo's biggest showing in history. But we can make it better!

As many already know, Paizo stepped up as a cosponsor at this year's show. What does that mean for Pathfinder Society? It means we move into the Sagamore Ballroom! We double in size, scheduling 150 tables per slot. Additionally, we also have two of the seven rooms that were used for Pathfinder Society last year. One of them will be used exclusively for Paizo seminars. The other room will have 10 tables and a mini-HQ that will allow us to schedule five tables of Beginner Box Introductions and five tables of the Kids' Track for all ten slots of Gen Con. This year, we will also be hosting a GM and volunteer briefing in the Sagamore Ballroom from 5-6 pm on Wednesday. If you are a volunteer of GM, please try to attend.

Doubling in size allows us to offer a much broader selection of scenarios for players to choose from. I also wanted this to serve as a celebration of Pathfinder Society history and have chosen several multipart series, as well as favorites from past seasons, in addition to the normal offerings of the previous season and the new season. We are planning to schedule 61 different scenarios, one Gen Con Special, two Gen Con Exclusives, and two modules! These include seven Season 0 scenarios, nine Season 1 scenarios, 13 Season 2 scenarios, 10 Season 3 scenarios, 19 Season 4 scenarios, and four Season 5 scenarios. We are also offereing a few tables of We Be Goblins! and We Be Goblins Too! throughout the course of the convention.

We are planning one or two tables of the three new Season 5 scenarios for each morning and afternoon slot throughout the convention, which will be GMed in French and Spanish languages. Paris Venture-Captain Karim Majeri, Quebec Venture-Captain Michel Lepage, and French GM Florent Fournol will be traveling to Gen Con from their countries and GMing a large share of the French-language tables, but I still have a few open tables if you are fluent in French. Every French-language GM that volunteers to GM six or more tables will receive a French-language Core Rulebook as a thank you! All of the Spanish-language tables need GMs. If you are fluent in either language, please consider GMing in some of these first time offerings at Gen Con.

The Season 5 Gen Con special, Siege of the Diamond City, scheduled for Friday night, will help us kickoff the new season near the Worldwound! The Special this year will be designed for levels 1—15, and include subtiers for levels 12—13 and 14—15. At 150 tables, it will be one of the single largest, collaborative roleplaying games ever hosted!

The scenarios being scheduled for Gen Con are as follows:
    Season 0

#1: Silent Tide (Tier 1—5) #5: Mists of Mwangi (Tier 1—5) #6: Black Waters (Tier 1—5) #7: Among the Living (Tier 1—7) #20: King Xeros of Old Azlant (Tier 7—11) #22: Fingerprints of the Fiend (Tier 7—11) #23: Tide of Morning (Tier 1—5)

Season 1

#1—33: Assault on the Kingdom of the Impossible (Tier 1—5) #1—35: Voice in the Void (Tier 1—7) #1—38: No Plunder, No Pay (Tier 7—11) #1—39: The Citadel of Flame (Tier 1—5) #1—40: Hall of Drunken Heroes (Tier 7—11) #1—46: Eyes of the Ten, Part 1: Requiem for the Red Raven (Tier 12) #1—49: Among the Dead (Tier 1—7) #1—54: Eyes of theTen, Part 2: Maze of the Open Road (Tier 12) #1—56: Jester's Fraud (Tier 5—9)

Season 2

#2—01: Before the Dawn, Part 1: The Bloodcove Disguise (Tier 1—7) #2—02: Before the Dawn, Part 2: Rescue at Azlant Ridge (Tier 1—7) #2—03: The Rebel's Ransom (Tier 5—9) #2—05: Eyes of the Ten, Part 3: Red Revolution (Tier 12) #2—06: The Heresy of Man, Part 1: The First Heresy (Tier 5—9) #2—07: The Heresy of Man, Part 2: Where Dark Things Sleep (Tier 5—9) #2—08: The Sarkorian Prophecy (Tier 7—11) #2—09: The Heresy of Man, Part 3: Beneath Forgotten Sands (Tier 5—9) #2—10: Fury of the Fiend (Tier 7—11) #2—11: The Penumbral Accords (Tier 1—5) #2—12: Below the Silver Tarn (Tier 7—11) #2—22: Eyes of the Ten, Part 4: Nothing Ventures, Nothing Gained (Tier 12) #2—25: You Only Die Twice (Tier 5—9)

Season 3

#3—05: Tide of Twilight (Tier 1—5) #3—07: Echoes of the Overwatched (Tier 1—5) #3—08: Among the Gods (Tier 3—7) #3—10: The Immortal Conundrum (Tier 5—9) #3—12: Wonders in the Weave, Part 1: The Dog Pharoah's Tomb (Tier 5—9) #3—14: Wonders in the Weave, Part 2: Snakes in the Fold (Tier 5—9) #3—15: The Haunting of Hinojai (Tier 5—9) #3—18: The God's Market Gamble (Tier 1—5) #3—20: Rats of Round Mountain, Part 1: The Sundered Path (Tier 7—11) #3—22: Rats of Round Mountain, Part 2: Pagoda of the Rat (Tier 7—11)

Season 4

#4—EX: Day of the Demon (Tier 3—7) #4—04: King of the Storval Stairs (Tier 7—11) #4—05: The Sanos Abduction (Tier 3—7) #4—07: Severing Ties (Tier 1—5) #4—08: The Cultist's Kiss (Tier 7—11) #4—10: Feasts of Sigils (Tier 7—11) #4—11: The Disappeared (Tier 1—5) #4—12: Refuge of Time (Tier 7—11) #4—13: Fortress of the Nail (Tier 5—9) #4—14: My Enemy's Enemy (Tier 3—7) #4—17: Tower of the Ironwood Watch (Tier 5—9) #4—18: The Veteran's Vault (Tier 1—5) #4—19: The Night March of Kalkamedes (Tier 1—5) #4—20: Words of the Ancient (Tier 7—11) #4—22: Halls of Dwarven Lore (Tier 5—9) #4—23: Rivalry's End (Tier 3—7) #4—24: The Price of Friendship (Tier 5—9) #4—25: The Secrets Stones Keep (Tier 5—9) #4—26: The Waking Rune (Tier 7—11)

Season 5

#5—00: Siege of the Diamond City (Gen Con Special, Tier 1—15) #5—01: Title TBD (Tier 1—5) (English, French, and Spanish language) #5—02: Title TBD (Tier 3—7) (English, French, and Spanish language) #5—03: Title TBD (Tier 5—9) (English, French, and Spanish language)

We will be offering two exclusives this year at Gen Con, one on Thursday night and one on Saturday night. On Thursday evening, we'll be running a particularly challenging (and lethal) Tier 3—7 scenario, the Ruins of Bonekeep, Level 1: The Silent Grave, written by Jason Bulhman, Lead Designer at Paizo Publishing. This is the first of a series of special events designed to test your character to its limits. It debuted at Winter Fantasy this past January and will make a few limited appearances throughout the spring and summer convention season leading up to Gen Con. On Saturday night, we will follow up Ruins of Bonekeep, Level 1 with Ruins of Bonekeep, Level 2, also written by Jason. It is also being designed for Tier 3—7 characters, and again, will be particularly challenging and lethal. Ruins of Bonekeep, Level 2 will make its debut at Gen Con. For both of the exclusives, the threat of character death is very real, but the potential rewards are greater as a result. You will be able to, as a table, decide to leave the event at any time should it become too deadly for you, except when engaged in combat. If this is not the type of event for you, please look for other options during Slots 3 and 9. We will only run each level one time at Gen Con so both will be limited, exclusive events. On a side note, we will have a few limited tables running all three of the new Season 5 scenarios if you would rather not participate in either of the exclusives.

In regard to the Pathfinder RPG Beginner Box Introductions, we have two different offerings this year. During all 10 slots at Gen Con, we are setting aside five tables during each slot for these Beginner Box Introduction events. Both parts are scheduled with new players in mind. For Beginner Box Introductions, Part 1, it is the same as last year in that we will allow for the first 45—60 minutes to be an exploration of the contents of the Pathfinder RPG Beginner Box, explaining the rules, and reviewing the pregenerated characters. The final four hours of each slot will be playing through the four, one-hour adventures that were offered last year. For Beginner Box Introductions, Part 2, the GM will assist players in advancing their character to 3rd level. The Beginner Box Transitions, Player Pack, and GM Kit will be reviewed. Once those three free documents have been covered, we will be offering up five brand-new, one-hour adventures as time permits. Much like the four adventures in Part 1, these will be utilizing only the Beginner Box rules.

We'll also be expanding the Pathfinder Kids' Track this year! We will be setting aside five tables at each slot for all 10 slots of the convention. We are focusing on players aged 6—12 and we will be using the Pathfinder RPG Beginner Box for this as well. The Kids' Track is divided into two parts—the Beginner Track and the Advanced Track. Each kids' Beginner Track slot will be two hours long and each player will receive a check-off card, similar to what was used last year and at the Beginner Box Bash in 2011. The first hour of each of the 10 kids' Beginner Track sessions teaches roleplaying and rules, and reviews the pregenerated characters found in the Pathfinder RPG Beginner Box. During the second hour, one of the four, one-hour adventures used during the Beginner Box Bash will be played.

For the kids' Advanced Track, we are focusing on children who participated in last year's kids' Beginner Track, at a local kids' Beginner Track session near their home, or for older children that have prior experience with Pathfinder Roleplaying Game. The GM at each of the two-hour slots will help the children level-up their chosen character to third level. After leveling is complete, the GM will run one of five new adventures designed using the Beginner Box rules.

We will be running each of the nine different adventures multiple times throughout the convention to allow flexible scheduling for children and parents. We will be restricting tables to four children players and are requiring a parent or guardian be present with the child (or multiple children if two or more are interested in participating) for the entire two hours. The parent or guardian will assist the child when needed. We want to make this a good and memorable experience for the kids that attend Gen Con, who often find little they can participate in, especially with others their own age. We will be scheduling 30, two-hour tables per day on Thursday through Saturday, and 20, two-hour tables on Sunday, for the Kids' Track, divided between the Beginner Track and Advanced Track.

If a child plays all four different adventures in the Beginner Track, he will be able to present his check-off card to HQ and receive a special certificate that celebrates his accomplishments. If a child plays all five different adventures in the Advanced Track, she will be able to present her check-off card to HQ and receive a second, different special certificate. Each of the certificates has a different boon that can be applied to a new Pathfinder Society character if the child finishes both Kids' Tracks and wants to advance from the Beginner Box and participate in Pathfinder Society Organized Play. We may also have other giveaways or special prizes, such as dice and minaitures, similar to last year. I will be very picky when choosing volunteer GMs for the Kids' Track. I prefer to have school teachers and other professionals with experience dealing with children. I will consider GMs who are parents even if they do not deal with children regularly in their profession. If you are volunteering to GM the Kids' Track, please make sure to include all of your credentials. Also, since these are scheduled as two-hour blocks, a GM will be required to run two Kids' Track slots back to back in a four-hour block to count as 1 slot of credit toward GM rewards.

We are bringing back GM 101 in both of its parts—the breakout sessions and the Deck of Many Situations. In addition to GM 101, we will be showing off GM 201, which will debut at PaizoCon and build on the lessons learned from the GM 101 course. On a side note, the last draft I saw circulating around the office had 22 other seminars scheduled besides just the two GM classes!
  • 03-03-2013 12:37 PM In reply to

Re: Pathfinder Society and Paizo Events

coastiemike:
    For the kids' Advanced Track, we are focusing on children who participated in last year's kids' Beginner Track, at a local kids' Beginner Track session near their home, or for older children that have prior experience with Pathfinder Roleplaying Game. The GM at each of the two-hour slots will help the children level-up their chosen character to third level. After leveling is complete, the GM will run one of five new adventures designed using the Beginner Box rules.

This is fantastic. My two kids had a terrific time last year (thank you, Nani!) and fully intend on coming back for more this year. We're looking forward to it.

• 03-08-2013 1:42 PM In reply to

• Milfster
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 02-11-2013
    • Indianapolis, IN
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 294

OH YEAH!  The Sag!!!!!  Going to be much fun in Pathfinder gaming this year indeed!

"Hey, wer'e surrounded by a hundred angry goblins. There are four of us. What could possibly go wrong? Wait, don't answer that, just draw your sword!"
  • 03-11-2013 10:55 AM In reply to

I was wondering what are the costs involved to playing pathfinder? I live in Indy and it seems pretty popular so, I was thinking of getting into it.
  • 03-11-2013 10:55 AM In reply to

I was wondering what are the costs involved to playing pathfinder? I live in Indy and it seems pretty popular so, I was thinking of getting into it.
  • 03-11-2013 12:39 PM In reply to

• Rbree
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-11-2006
    • Tokyo, Japan
    • Oracle of Gaming
    • Points 26,994
    • Dead Games Society
      Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)

The core rule book is about 40 dollars and ou'll want a set of dice...  Or you can get the box set for about 30 dollars but it's rules light and not completely compatable with the main game...  Just missing a few teweaks...  After you get into it though it's a lot like D&D where you'll want to add class specific rulebooks and such as you go on.   BU if you just playing and not a completest either of the books I mentioned abve.   If you're going to GM add a bestiary... and You have all you need to play. 

• 03-12-2013 10:50 AM In reply to

• chemrebel
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 05-13-2008
    • FWA, IN
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 5,128
    • Group (Gamer Wenches)

I'm very glad to hear of the expansion, especially the kids tracks.  My almost-8 year old had fun last year even though she was a bit timid.

N., Proud Mother to the sole known survivor of Killer Breakfast

Good Advice: Never Moon A Werewolf.

• 03-13-2013 5:24 PM In reply to

• dmhops
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-21-2012
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 376

If you have an easy way to read PDFs, like a tablet, you can just buy the PDF of the core book which is only $10.  Add another $5 dollars for dice and you are playing the game for less than $20.  Also all the rules, including all the extra books, are posted for free through the Paizo site:  http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ 

So if you don't even want to spend the $10 you can play for even cheaper, though the PRD can be a little unwieldy to learn to play the game from.  The only stuff not on the PRD is the Pathfinder world specific stuff. 

• 03-14-2013 6:04 AM In reply to

• NascragMan
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-01-2006
    • We LOVE generic tickets!
    • Oracle of Gaming
    • Points 27,081
    • Group (Nascrag)

I bought the PDF because I felt it was the right thing to do. You have to support these companies or they go out of business. But as an old-time D+D player I find I use the PRD exclusively. Once you get used to hypertext you never want to go back. NASCRAG is a Pathfinder event these days. We had to make a decision between D+D 4.0 and Pathfinder and Pathfinder was just a lot better for the kinds of things we've always done. Roleplaying over combat, using spells to solve problems, etc. We're very happy with it.
  • 04-04-2013 10:20 AM In reply to

• H2SO4
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-31-2013
    • Attendee
    • Points 1,746

NascragMan:
    I bought the PDF because I felt it was the right thing to do. You have to support these companies or they go out of business. But as an old-time D+D player I find I use the PRD exclusively. Once you get used to hypertext you never want to go back. NASCRAG is a Pathfinder event these days. We had to make a decision between D+D 4.0 and Pathfinder and Pathfinder was just a lot better for the kinds of things we've always done. Roleplaying over combat, using spells to solve problems, etc. We're very happy with it.

They're both good systems and one can have fun in either and neither supports nor undercuts roleplaying more. Anyone saying otherwise is an ignorant edition warrior and not a useful source of infomration.

• 04-04-2013 12:13 PM In reply to

• daveculp
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-13-2012
    • Carrollton, TX
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 4,053

H2SO4:

They're both good systems and one can have fun in either and neither supports nor undercuts roleplaying more. Anyone saying otherwise is an ignorant edition warrior and not a useful source of infomration.

You certainly live up to your name :)

• 04-14-2013 8:23 PM In reply to

• H2SO4
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-31-2013
    • Attendee
    • Points 1,746

daveculp:
    H2SO4:

You certainly live up to your name :)

Yeah, because enjoying both games and being sick and tired of the edition wars polluting every online forum is just so unnatural. Hmm Heck, at Gen Con I run in to people year after year now playing both there as well. But the edition wars are stupid. There's a lot of good games out there, including these two. Trying to claim one or the other doesn't "support" roleplaying is pure ignorance as I can role play just fine in either.

• 04-16-2013 8:47 AM In reply to

• NascragMan
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-01-2006
    • We LOVE generic tickets!
    • Oracle of Gaming
    • Points 27,081
    • Group (Nascrag)

H2SO4:

NascragMan:

A number of Nascrag judges tried 4th edition D+D before we reached the decision to use Pathfinder. We felt it didn't lend itself to Nascrag's style and focus as well as Pathfinder did. My statement wasn't ignorant. It was an informed opinion. Note that I am saying "opinion".
  • 04-18-2013 5:41 AM In reply to

• marimacc
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 03-01-2006
    • DC metro area
    • Gaming Know-it-All
    • Points 98,263
    • ForumsAdministrator

Good grief. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and anyone calling anyone else ignorant or making further insults in this thread will have their posts cut off. This should be an exciting happy thread about the awesome Pathfinder events this year. If you don't want to talk about that, don't post here.
    Gen Con Forums Coordinator
    Gen Con SPA track Coordinator
    Gen Con Costume track Coordinator
    Code of Conduct

• 04-19-2013 8:55 AM In reply to

• Bubba Ho-Tep
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-02-2006
    • Ho-Tep Trailer Park
    • Gaming Know-it-All
    • Points 65,783
    • Dead Games Society
      Group (Gen Con United Nations)
      Group (Mavens)
      Tester

Noobs Stick out tongue

Don't make me use myself on you baby!

Master of All Things Ho-Tep

Play Rolemaster Classic
    Go to RPGNow for all your gaming needs.

Chief Master Moonpie Boy to the Gamer Wenches
  • 04-19-2013 4:19 PM In reply to

• H2SO4
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-31-2013
    • Attendee
    • Points 1,746

NascragMan:
    H2SO4:

NascragMan:

A number of Nascrag judges tried 4th edition D+D before we reached the decision to use Pathfinder. We felt it didn't lend itself to Nascrag's style and focus as well as Pathfinder did. My statement wasn't ignorant. It was an informed opinion. Note that I am saying "opinion".

You specifically said "roleplaying over combat" which is the same crud infecting our gaming community all over the internet (and even in RL in some places), which I find offensive. A lot of us enjoy both games and these silly claims have worn thin. We're not that big of a group of people to be putting down parts of our group and trying to claim 'system x isn't roleplaying', 'system x is is just a boardgame/videogame on paper' or 'system x is for rules lawyers' or whatever. The edition wars are ridiculous, we should want everyone to have fun playing whatever game they choose instead of trying to say 'system x sucks' for whatever made up reason. Maybe I'm asking for a little too much kumbaya but we're all gamers and we play a lot of different stuff. Lets be happy we have the variety we do and enjoy the fact there's stuff out there for our fellow gamers even if it's stuff we don't play.

• 04-19-2013 5:15 PM In reply to

• chemrebel
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 05-13-2008
    • FWA, IN
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 5,128
    • Group (Gamer Wenches)

If you want 4.0 the RPGA people are happy to accomodate you in whatever hall they score this year.  If you want Pathfinder, they'll have a hall just as big to accomodate those that play it.  Every group uses different systems, it's all good.  Now quit harshing everyone's mellow here and puff, puff, pass. Cool Pizza

N., Proud Mother to the sole known survivor of Killer Breakfast

Good Advice: Never Moon A Werewolf.

• 04-22-2013 12:03 PM In reply to

• H2SO4
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-31-2013
    • Attendee
    • Points 1,746

I'll be playing some of both unless something really weird happens, as will many others.

• 05-23-2013 7:56 AM In reply to

irishgirlblond:
    I live near Indy. This will be my 4th GenCon. Pathfinder is simply great. I was an avid ADnD 2nd Edtioner for many many years and reverted to Pathfinder in 2010. To play the game itself, all you need is the Core Rule book. You will WANT many of the other items Paizo makes, though! A GM will need the core and a bestiary at least. In order to play the "living" game, called the Pathfiner Society, you will need a copy of the Core book or the pdf receipt. Also, if your character has anything which is not contained in the core, you will need to have those books or pdfs with you. For instance, if the character has one feat from the Advanced Player's Guide, be sure to buy the guide or the pdf so you can use that feat during the game. Each game is $6 (usually) and lasts 4-5 hours (4 hours scheduled). The events are set up for 3 scenarios a day. Usually 8am, 1pm, and 7pm. Too bad there wasn't more time in the day! So if you buy a badge for all 4 days, and get 3 games per day (with Sunday having only one 8am game) you are looking at: Badge $70 Thur games $18 Fri games $18 Sat games $18 Sun game $6 $130 for a full non-stop weekend of Pathfinder. I consider myself a hardcore player, and that Sunday morning game is exhausting but well worth it. The products that Paizo puts out are superb as well. I just began buying their minis (by WizKids) as supplements to my game- those are quite nice as well. I think one of the best resources for Pathfinder are the Paizo forums. There are developers and players on here. Often, even late at night, when we are gaming and a rule is obscure or we need clarification, someone is able to answer within 20 minutes usually. It's awesome.
  • 05-23-2013 7:56 AM In reply to

irishgirlblond:
    I live near Indy. This will be my 4th GenCon. Pathfinder is simply great. I was an avid ADnD 2nd Edtioner for many many years and reverted to Pathfinder in 2010. To play the game itself, all you need is the Core Rule book. You will WANT many of the other items Paizo makes, though! A GM will need the core and a bestiary at least. In order to play the "living" game, called the Pathfiner Society, you will need a copy of the Core book or the pdf receipt. Also, if your character has anything which is not contained in the core, you will need to have those books or pdfs with you. For instance, if the character has one feat from the Advanced Player's Guide, be sure to buy the guide or the pdf so you can use that feat during the game. Each game is $6 (usually) and lasts 4-5 hours (4 hours scheduled). The events are set up for 3 scenarios a day. Usually 8am, 1pm, and 7pm. Too bad there wasn't more time in the day! So if you buy a badge for all 4 days, and get 3 games per day (with Sunday having only one 8am game) you are looking at: Badge $70 Thur games $18 Fri games $18 Sat games $18 Sun game $6 $130 for a full non-stop weekend of Pathfinder. I consider myself a hardcore player, and that Sunday morning game is exhausting but well worth it. The products that Paizo puts out are superb as well. I just began buying their minis (by WizKids) as supplements to my game- those are quite nice as well. I think one of the best resources for Pathfinder are the Paizo forums. There are developers and players on here. Often, even late at night, when we are gaming and a rule is obscure or we need clarification, someone is able to answer within 20 minutes usually. It's awesome.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >