Gen Con Community

Welcome to Gen Con Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

First Time in Gencon

Last post 05-31-2008 2:39 PM by NDGeekboy. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-30-2008 9:03 PM

• Seizui
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-22-2008
    • Mountain Home AFB, ID
    • Points 106

First Time in Gencon

Okay, this is going to be my first Gencon and I was hoping to get into some events. Unfortunately, the things that I wanted to do such as True Dungeon, Descent: Journey of the Darkness, etc are full.

I find myself annoyed, fustrated, and at a loss here. Unevent-wise, is there anything to do or will I just be wandering around and window-shopping/watching folks have all of the fun?

• 05-30-2008 9:18 PM In reply to

• cdsmith
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-20-2007
    • Columbus
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 4,391
    • Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)
      VIG

Re: First Time in Gencon

Well, I spent my first GenCon wondering around while waiting for the Guild Wars games to start.  Had a blast!  Here's my advice.  Check out the WotC stuff that will be coming up soon as I don't think they have been listed in the events yet.  Should be some games you want there.  Also there are lots of pick-up games in and around the Con.  One of the most fun things I did was try out every game I could in the dealers hall.  That took almost the entire day.  

Big hint here.  If you can make it, go to the RAM on Wednesday, find a KFG person and let them know you are new. The least that will happen from that is you'll make some new friend.  Check out the KFG aplication thread too.  Maybe you'll fit in.

If True Dungeon is your thing, check their web site.  I know people exchange tickets for TD so you might find one there. 

If you had a "stats" editor for real-life, would you use it?
  • 05-30-2008 9:42 PM In reply to

• Seizui
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-22-2008
    • Mountain Home AFB, ID
    • Points 106

THE RAM? KFG? Elaborate on that, please. XD As mentioned, I am sort of new to this whole deal, as I -recently- got into D&D when it was at 3.5, so... But either case, I thank you for the advice. 

• 05-30-2008 10:01 PM In reply to

• game junkie
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-03-2006
    • Cincinnati, Oh.
    • Gamer
    • Points 6,690

The Ram is a very gamer friendly bar/grill,

KFG is a gamer group that runs games there and at a hotel on wednsday that is full of friendly people.

Come on over grab a seat play some games.

If you can read this you are to close so back off.
    previously onedumborc
  • 05-30-2008 10:30 PM In reply to

• facade
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-01-2008
    • Jersey City, NJ
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 3,674
    • VIG

There are things to see and do outside the events (Dealers Hall, Art show etc.) and Indy is a pretty nice city with lots to do as well. I would not want to try and fill up my entire con with just this and pick up games though. My advice is to broaden your horizon and use this website to find open events (there are 3645 open events currently)

http://gencon.highprogrammer.com/gencon-indy-2008.cgi 

To me a Democrats versus Republicans argument is like two guys arguing over whether to flush a $100 bill face up or face down. I don't really care who wins the argument. Either way $100 of my money ends up going down a toilet.
  • 05-31-2008 6:34 AM In reply to

• cdsmith
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 12-20-2007
    • Columbus
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 4,391
      VIG

These two links will help you out with The RAM and KFG

http://www.theram.com/indiana/indianapolis.shtml

http://community.gencon.com/forums/t/12395.aspx

You'll have to copy and past.  Don't know why I can't post real links but I can't. 

If you had a "stats" editor for real-life, would you use it?
  • 05-31-2008 6:43 AM In reply to

• marimacc
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 03-01-2006
    • DC metro area
    • Gaming Know-it-All
    • Points 101,850
    • ForumsAdministrator

Hi and welcome to the forums!  I recommend you check out this thread:

http://community.gencon.com/forums/p/14780/186085.aspx

which has some links to some good starting points for the forums and Gen Con info. :)

Gen Con Forums Coordinator
    Gen Con SPA track Coordinator
    Gen Con Costume track Coordinator
    Code of Conduct

• 05-31-2008 7:32 AM In reply to

• Braelun
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-01-2006
    • Beavercreek, OH
    • Gaming Encyclopedia
    • Points 42,164
    • Dead Games Society
      Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)
      Group (Mavens)

Another area to look at is the Boardgame room with the Games Library.  You can oftentimes get a nice pickup game of something going on there.

Oh, and try something new.  That way you can bring back something to your gaming group to make them all insanely jealous. 

And Aim High, Zoomie.  From one (retired) to another.

• 05-31-2008 7:44 AM In reply to

• Bubba Ho-Tep
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-02-2006
    • Ho-Tep Trailer Park
    • Gaming Know-it-All
    • Points 65,783
    • Dead Games Society
      Group (Gen Con United Nations)
      Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)
      Group (Mavens)
      Tester

Welcome aboard!  First off there should be some games opening up due to the influx of RPGA games just being released last week, so re-check the event listings for your games. Secondly, you can easily make a day out of demoing games in the dealers hall, I plan to do alot of this with my son this year (his first year) and if you are in town on Wed. check out Wed Gaming at the Ram and other places, it's free. 

Don't make me use myself on you baby!

Master of All Things Ho-Tep

Play Rolemaster Classic
    Go to RPGNow for all your gaming needs.

Chief Master Moonpie Boy to the Gamer Wenches
  • 05-31-2008 7:49 AM In reply to

• Seizui
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-22-2008
    • Mountain Home AFB, ID
    • Points 106

Cool! All of you guys provided me some helpful advice. I thank you all and appreciate the help. These are things I will look into.
  • 05-31-2008 2:39 PM In reply to

• NDGeekboy
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-04-2006
    • The Black Hole of North America
    • Gaming Encyclopedia
    • Points 43,520
    • Tester

Another option is to pick up some Generic tickets. (Those are tickets that aren't event-specific and many games and events accept them. In fact, some events are Generics-only.) Wander on by a game or three that caught your eye in the listings (or just catch your eye in your meanderings) and ask if they have any openings. If so, you can get yourself a slot right then and there with the Generic. (Word of caution though: People who have bought tickets for that event have priority over those with Generics.)

Exchange rate for Generics per game: A Generic is two bucks. So if the game costs four bucks to get in on, you'll need two Generics. And at the end of the Con, when you want to cash in whatever Generics you have left over, just hit Customer Service over in the ICC. I think they charge a 10% restocking/administrative fee on all returned tickets. You won't see all of your money back but a good healthy amount.

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different.
    - Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

You see, you just can't trust anyone. The first time I let a girl into my life and she tried to eat me.
    - Columbus, Zombieland

I guess that's what my horoscope meant when it said, "Ka-Boom."
    - Al Bundy, Married: With Children

The fundamental cause of trouble in this world is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
    - Bertrand Russell
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)