Gen Con Community

Welcome to Gen Con Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Suggestion for 2009 GenCon Ball

Last post 01-27-2009 5:16 PM by Jodi Lane. 63 replies.
Page 3 of 4 (64 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-12-2008 8:17 PM In reply to

Re: Suggestion for 2009 GenCon Ball

LarpPrincess:

Pirates/Ninjas would give me a good excuse to make a Wench costume :) Because apparently the Pirate LARP didn't give me enough excuse, 'course I wasn't to confident in my sewing last year. I'm getting better :) 

Which pirates larp?  Do you mean 7th Sea?  If so, who were you?

I like my women the way I like my swing dancing: fast, loose, and airborne.
  • 12-04-2008 6:58 PM In reply to

• swinetrekkie
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 05-12-2007
    • Deck 9 Aft (between the ice cream and the pool)
    • Gamer
    • Points 6,894
    • Group (Gamer Wenches)
      Group (Nascrag)
      Tester
      VIG

I love the Pirate vs Ninja theme. 

I worked at Ren Faires WAY too many years to make me want to do anything Ren or Pirate, but I realize that a lot of people already have that, and are more likely to wear what they have in this crappy economy.  I think a good theme encourages a lot of people to dress up, and this would work for that.  Plus, I get to be a ninja - yay! 

The BLT idea doens't thrill me because its basically having three themes that don't seem connected to me except by the acronym.  However, I'd be happy with a general super hero theme.  It could really be fun, but I think less people would actually dress up for that.

"If frogs couldn't hop, I'd be Gone With the Schwinn"
    Kermit, The Muppet Movie
  • 12-05-2008 1:07 AM In reply to

• atstepchild
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-02-2007
    • My Mind's in the Gutter, My body's in Columbus, OH
    • Gaming Encyclopedia
    • Points 48,865
    • Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)
      Group (Nascrag)
      Tester

What about an Undead theme? There are tons of different types out there (skeleton, ghoul, ghost, vampire, zombie etc) as well as the obligatory bane of the undead, priests. The priests don't have to be Roman Catholic, they could be Clerics of Paladine for that matter. The Zombie Walk always seems to get a good turnout and a lot of attention. Besides, who can turn down doing Thriller?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtyJbIOZjS8

Or maybe we would be more like the prison version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMnk7lh9M3o

Quote from Dragons of the Dwarven Depths, p259 ... Tas and Tanis talking after Tas says a prayer for the massacred Gully Dwarves.
    "It was good of you to think of that," said Tanis. "None of the rest of us did."
    "You're busy thinking big things," said Tas. "I keep track of the small stuff."

www.fatdragongames.com/ Cardstock models at great prices... by one of our own.
    www.kentuckyfriedgamers.com/ Friendliest forums on the web. Just Downhome Fun. YEEEHAAWWW!!!
    www.whosyergamers.org/wygms/ Indiana based group to provide free gaming and increased exposure.
    Gamers After Dark is for gaming adults looking for an upscale, higher quality party experience. We work to bring people together in a secure, non-threatening environment. Contact me if interested in details.
    Who's Yer Con, April 17-19, 2015
  • 12-05-2008 6:03 AM In reply to

• Keeper
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-02-2006
    • Five block from the ICC
    • Game Theorist
    • Points 25,543
    • Dead Games Society
      Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)
      Group (Mavens)
      VIG

You know I have been thinking about putting together a US Army WWZ uniform with a Senior Lobo for the Zombie Walk.

Randu-Remember Zack don't Surf

Gen Con Action Historian
    Keeperpoloza-35 Years of Hanging aroung
    The Keeper Mega Fun Time Site!
    http://mypage.iu.edu/~wrporter
  • 12-31-2008 5:20 PM In reply to

• Stormy1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 05-08-2008
    • Indy
    • Attendee
    • Points 1,662

Bringing this back up to the top because the earlier we know the theme...the sooner costume work can begin!

So long, and thanks for all the fish!
  • 01-01-2009 2:55 PM In reply to

• KatTsunade
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 07-27-2008
    • Lafayette, Indiana
    • Game Master
    • Points 10,259
    • Group (Gamer Wenches)
      Group (Gen Con United Nations)

Idea hit me. No idea where from though.... *rubs back of head* What about fictional military or government? Means dagnear EVERYthing. ^^

Throw in some wit and sarcasm here and ramblings of kitties.

• 01-01-2009 3:09 PM In reply to

KatTsunade:
    What about fictional military or government?

This could work well as there are a ton of movies, tv shows and anime that depict a fictional Government/Military of somesort. There are alot of posibilites with that.

Chris
    Jail N Bail Correctional Officer / Recruiter
    Fandom United
    fandom.united@gmail.com
  • 01-13-2009 10:38 PM In reply to

• tribble
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-14-2009
    • Lurker
    • Points 14

It would be cool if 2009's ball could be a big character costume party.  Those are really fun.

• 01-14-2009 9:44 AM In reply to

• leapleyc
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-27-2008
    • O-HI-O
    • Attendee
    • Points 2,710

A lot of good ideas here.  My thinking is a lot of people already have costumes for various reasons, and with the economy the way it is, I think a suggestion that allows people to participate without feeling the need to spend money would be good.  So why not just a general masquerade/costume party.  In my group, most of us have fantasy-themed costumes, and as of now I know I will be paying for a couple of my friends' entire conventions because they are unemployed as of now and definitely dont have money to spend on a new costume.  Keeping it like that would allow people who want to get a "new" costume to do so without excluding those who cannot.

Of course, price-conscious options were presented that are appealing.

Of all the suggestions I have seen I would say the only one I would steer away from is BLT.  Aside from the fact that the name makes me want to go have a second lunch, I would be a little leery to see a lot of the people at the convention in lingerie. :) I dont mean any offense by that, but you see a lot of people walking around the con who should not be wearing what they are to begin with...so I am not sure giving them an excuse to wear even less would be wise.  Just me two cents though. :)

Whatever you decide upon theme-wise, I am sure it will be great fun!

• 01-15-2009 10:05 PM In reply to

• Jodi Lane
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on 01-15-2009
    • Seattle, WA
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 729

I think it would be cool to just have a Dungeons and Dragons type Fantasy costume ball, it would be easier for everyone to pick a costume and lots of people would be able to choose something they liked.  It could be any characters from like say, Forgotten Realms or etc.  That way there'd be something for everyone, yanno?  I would really like to dress as an Elf, always have wanted to!  :D  Who makes the actual call on this anyway?

OR-- I am ALWAYS up for a Star Wars costume!!!  So, Star Wars could be cool too...

I'm a tomboy gamer who likes to wear high heels and bikinis once in a while...oh yeah, I love costuming too. ;o)
  • 01-16-2009 5:46 AM In reply to

• leapleyc
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-27-2008
    • O-HI-O
    • Attendee
    • Points 2,710

I like the way you think Jodi, a fantasy-themed ball would be awesome.  But as I know a lot of people are into other genres too, I think a general costume/masquerade would be appropriate as well.

I have no idea who makes the call (or if anyone really does). 

• 01-16-2009 5:50 AM In reply to

• Glory
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 12-14-2006
    • Chicago
    • Game Theorist
    • Points 15,989
    • Group (Gamer Wenches)

Jodi Lane:
    It could be any characters from like say, Forgotten Realms or etc.

Why am I picturing about 15 Drizzt's running around the ball with boffer scimitars? 

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket "When life gives you lemons... squirt your enemies in the eye."
  • 01-16-2009 9:24 AM In reply to

• FaePooka
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 06-13-2006
    • Illinois
    • Game Master
    • Points 11,088
    • Group (Gamer Wenches)
      Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)

Glory:

Why am I picturing about 15 Drizzt's running around the ball with boffer scimitars? 

You say that like it's a bad thing....  Devil

Don't take life so seriously, it's not permanent.

• 01-16-2009 11:28 AM In reply to

FaePooka:

Glory:

You say that like it's a bad thing....  Devil

It is a bad thing.  Not in general, but throw in a dance floor and a bar and it's definitely a bad thing.  There are a lot of costume events at Gen Con from the costume contest to meet ups to larps of both the political and full-contact nature; this would fit in much better with many of them (personally, the Band of Drizts Mercanary Attack Squad for Hire, Inc. gets my vote for costume contest fan favorite).  When coming up with a theme for a dance there are several goals to keep in mind:

• Must be fun.
    • Must allow for lots of interpretations.
    • Typical costumes should not restrict movement nor endanger those around you.
    • Typical costumes should not require so much time, effort, or expense that damage through casual wear-and-tear will be devastating.
    • Likewise for spilled drinks.
    • Not everyone comes to the dance to dance: costumes should still be interesting for those there to see and be seen.
    • Typical costumes should not promote dangerous behavior (i.e. theme should not feel incomplete without weapons)
    • Should not be limited by franchise.
    Hence ideas like steampunk and fantasy rather than Star Wars or a military ball.  Personally, I'm still hoping for pulp 20's, but I'm not holding my breath.
    I like my women the way I like my swing dancing: fast, loose, and airborne.
  • 01-16-2009 11:03 PM In reply to

• Jodi Lane
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on 01-15-2009
    • Seattle, WA
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 729

Thanks! I'm hoping I can figure out what events to make sure I attend! This will be my first GenCon!!!

I'm a tomboy gamer who likes to wear high heels and bikinis once in a while...oh yeah, I love costuming too. ;o)
  • 01-16-2009 11:05 PM In reply to

• Jodi Lane
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on 01-15-2009
    • Seattle, WA
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 729

Honestly-- I'll probably come dressed up like whatever I want regardless LOL!!!  I'm not sure if seeing a bunch of Drizzts show up would be a bad thing, that'd be like making my dream a reality...*daydreams* HAHA! Just playin'!

• 01-17-2009 6:08 PM In reply to

• Stormy1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 05-08-2008
    • Indy
    • Attendee
    • Points 1,662

suburbaknght:

When coming up with a theme for a dance there are several goals to keep in mind:
    • Must be fun.
    • Must allow for lots of interpretations.
    • Typical costumes should not restrict movement nor endanger those around you.
    • Typical costumes should not require so much time, effort, or expense that damage through casual wear-and-tear will be devastating.
    • Likewise for spilled drinks.
    • Not everyone comes to the dance to dance: costumes should still be interesting for those there to see and be seen.
    • Typical costumes should not promote dangerous behavior (i.e. theme should not feel incomplete without weapons)
    • Should not be limited by franchise.

Hence ideas like steampunk and fantasy rather than Star Wars or a military ball.  Personally, I'm still hoping for pulp 20's, but I'm not holding my breath.

I absolutely agree with Suburbaknght.  I think in order to keep the maximum number of people interested, the theme should be as flexible as possible.   I've got to admit that there are a couple themes suggested that give me the willies just thinking about how the heck I could accomodate costuming as they are wayyyy out of my interest range.  I'd also be unlikely to spend time and money on costuming that couldn't be reused or recycled at a later date.

The simpler the theme is kept, the more likely people will be to give a shot to cosplay, especially first timers. 

So long, and thanks for all the fish!
  • 01-18-2009 4:16 AM In reply to

• Shalazar
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Garfield Hts Cleveland
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 730

I'm thinking of a true masquerade ball where you dress as you will but wear a mask ether full faced or just an eye mask and at midnight you remove your mask reveling your true selfs.

If it's easy, it's not good for you.
  • 01-19-2009 12:09 AM In reply to

• Force10
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 02-27-2008
    • San Diego, CA
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 722

I think the pirates/ninjas theme could be pretty sweet. 

• 01-19-2009 3:03 PM In reply to

• CraftyShafty
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-01-2006
    • Mos Angeles
    • Game Master
    • Points 11,439
    • VIG

Shalazar:

I'm thinking of a true masquerade ball where you dress as you will but wear a mask ether full faced or just an eye mask and at midnight you remove your mask reveling your true selfs.

But since we all wear glasses, that'll never work. Geeked

"The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded...so come with me to Alderaan, Luke."
Page 3 of 4 (64 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >