Gen Con Community

Welcome to Gen Con Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Media guest

Last post 07-25-2011 6:48 AM by raggedyann. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-01-2011 4:16 AM

• Warlock KI
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-28-2007
    • Kokomo
    • Gamer
    • Points 7,690
    • Group (Gen Con United Nations)

Media guest

Who are the "media guest " this year. The Guild cast where last year and they where great. Ms. Day was very sweet and nice lady she is a Hickman fan and after multiple attempts for the two to meet, she made time to come see Tracy at the booth.

Ambassador for Kokomo, Indiana Gen Con United Nations - "Bringing together all nations in the ongoing fight against imaginary antagonists."
    Proud Member of the Usual Crew & the Kokomo Irregulars

• 07-01-2011 5:41 AM In reply to

• Bubba Ho-Tep
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-02-2006
    • Ho-Tep Trailer Park
    • Gaming Know-it-All
    • Points 65,783
    • Dead Games Society
      Group (Gen Con United Nations)
      Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)
      Group (Mavens)
      Tester

Re: Media guest

there may not be one this year, but I could be wrong.

Don't make me use myself on you baby!

Master of All Things Ho-Tep

Play Rolemaster Classic
    Go to RPGNow for all your gaming needs.

Chief Master Moonpie Boy to the Gamer Wenches
  • 07-03-2011 8:30 PM In reply to

I've been meaning to ask this same question.  I know it's not likely that Gen Con will get someone REALLY famous like Patrick Stewart or Sean Bean, say, but meeting Wil Wheaton last year was cool, and I hope they've got someone like that lined up for this year.

I broke my camera right at the front of Wheaton's autograph line last year, and he let me jump to the front of the line later when I bought another camera.  Classy thing to do, if you ask me!

Come on, guys and gals.  Just one moderately famous media guest will do.  It doesn't have to be the entire Fellowship of the Ring!

"I am the Hero of Time. No matter when, no matter where, for the sake of Hyrule and for you, Princess Zelda, I shall fight."
  • 07-04-2011 6:09 AM In reply to

• marimacc
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 03-01-2006
    • DC metro area
    • Gaming Know-it-All
    • Points 100,928
    • ForumsAdministrator

Unfortunately, no media guests this year, sorry!

Gen Con Forums Coordinator
    Gen Con SPA track Coordinator
    Gen Con Costume track Coordinator
    Code of Conduct

• 07-04-2011 7:51 AM In reply to

• Shalazar
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Garfield Hts Cleveland
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 720

Do you know why?

If it's easy, it's not good for you.
  • 07-04-2011 8:30 AM In reply to

My guess, and take it only as that being my guess is/was the bankruptcy. Thou I believe they have emerged from it, gencon LLC could still be cash strapped and cutting expenses.

Thou last year I liked many they invited. It still seemed scaled back and lacking some. Especially looking at other conventions and the overwhelming list of guest.

Not its not to say they won't have any one. Maybe a couple of unannounced guest.

And looking at the exhibit hall map. I am some what perplexed by the section called "Entertainer Spotlight"

Now is this just some thing they stuck on the map, or is this more for guest? IDK. Its large enough. So I guess we will have to wait to find out for sure.

I would love to see guest again, as that is a perk I love at the convention.

• 07-04-2011 6:41 PM In reply to

My guess is that the "Entertainer Spotlight" area is for people like Dan the Bard and Marc Gunn and Luke Ski.  Musicians, comedians, that sort of thing.  It's hardly going to ruin my weekend if there aren't any media guests; it just would have been cool, that's all.

ONE MONTH, PEOPLE!

"I am the Hero of Time. No matter when, no matter where, for the sake of Hyrule and for you, Princess Zelda, I shall fight."
  • 07-04-2011 8:38 PM In reply to

• marimacc
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 03-01-2006
    • DC metro area
    • Gaming Know-it-All
    • Points 100,928
    • ForumsAdministrator

No, as I mentioned, no media guests, and no, it's completely unrelated to the old bankruptcy.

Entertainer spotlight is exactly for what Zelda indicated, the entertainers such as the great lukeski, and our lovely belly dancers.

I'm not really sure how anyone could call the media guest list last year scaled back in any way....it was a great list last year.  You seem to be comparing Gen Con to media conventions.  Certainly Gen Con always has, and probably always will, have less media guests than a convention like DragonCon, which is perfectly reasonable since Gen Con is primairly a gaming convention, and not primarily a media convention.

Gen Con Forums Coordinator
    Gen Con SPA track Coordinator
    Gen Con Costume track Coordinator
    Code of Conduct

• 07-04-2011 10:09 PM In reply to

Then what is the reason for no media guest this year. We will find out for sure come Aug. while there. So it won't hurt to tell us. 

Belly Dancers? This will be a nice twist. I know there have been groups there years past. I take it this is a stage event. Some thing to check out.

I consider it scaled back when looking at back guest list. 

Last year was what... 5

2009 had no one

2008 had 7 guest

2007 had atleast 9 that I have pictures of.

On top of that, I remember when Gencon invited a large portion of the Starwars cast over the films, on top of other guest. Now it was nice invite last year. And I enjoyed meating some of the guest. I'm also in no way putting down the guest invited, as I"m sure they all were loved by many invited.So yea in my view, last year was scaled back some over previous years. And to that, I know some years had fewer. 

• 07-05-2011 12:36 AM In reply to

• Lanefan
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-17-2009
    • Victoria BC
    • Attendee
    • Points 2,026
    • VIG

Illusions:

Last year was what... 5

2009 had no one

2008 had 7 guest

2007 had atleast 9 that I have pictures of.  

I must be the jinx, then. :)  I wasn't at GenCon in 07, 08, or 10 and those all had media guests - but I was there in '09, and I'll be there this year: no media guests either time (unless there's a surprise guest this year).

Count me among the disappointed.

Lanefan

Game logs and stories at www.friendsofgravity.com/games
  • 07-05-2011 2:10 AM In reply to

• Warlock KI
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-28-2007
    • Kokomo
    • Gamer
    • Points 7,690

Thanx Mari you rule!

They should try to get "The Big Bang" cast, next year!

Ambassador for Kokomo, Indiana Gen Con United Nations - "Bringing together all nations in the ongoing fight against imaginary antagonists."

• 07-05-2011 4:59 AM In reply to

• GaGo-Gene
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-03-2006
    • Indiana
    • Game Theorist
    • Points 19,103
    • Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)
      Tester

Warlock KI:

Thanx Mari you rule!

They should try to get "The Big Bang" cast, next year!

This would be the best...one of my favorite shows left on TV!

• 07-06-2011 2:48 AM In reply to

• Warlock KI
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-28-2007
    • Kokomo
    • Gamer
    • Points 7,690

Cast members from TrueBlood or Game of Thrones would be great guest also!

• 07-08-2011 3:46 PM In reply to

Illusions:

Belly Dancers? This will be a nice twist. I know there have been groups there years past. I take it this is a stage event. Some thing to check out.

The Different Drummer Belly Dancers have been a GenCon fixture for several years, now, giving classes through the SPA programming track, doing roving performances, and then a big opening performance before the costume contest. They're very shiny and very friendly, so definitely stop by the booth! (You can also come visit me there while I'm holding down the fort for them on Saturday, when they're oot and aboot. (; )
    I am not a committee.
  • 07-09-2011 12:47 PM In reply to

• Braewe
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 05-04-2006
    • Muskegon
    • Oracle of Gaming
    • Points 31,766
    • Group (Gamer Wenches)
      Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)
      Group (Nascrag)
      Tester
      VIG

Second the Big Bang cast request for a future year. That show is /hilarious/.

• 07-10-2011 7:45 AM In reply to

• linus
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-25-2009
    • Attendee
    • Points 2,140
    • VIG

The Guild cast was a home run, especially given that several if not all of them are as far as I know, bigtime gamers themselves. Wheaton is as big a nerd as you can get while still holding down a job. And about as down to earth as any celebrity can be. Not sure if he's coming this year though, he mentioned he wanted to, but as with many of us, sometimes work gets in the way of fun.
  • 07-25-2011 6:48 AM In reply to

CoolAlthough I would love, love, love to see "The Big Bang Theory" stars and writers, they are filming the new seasons in the summer. They weren't even at ComicCon for the weekend. They did their panel one day and then had to go back to work. Kaley Cuoco posted on Twitter about heading to work before Starbuck's opened on Sunday.

I would love to see some media guests again. William Katt was at the con one year helping promote the movie by Chris Molino, GAMERS, and he was wonderful. 

Getting stars from "The Knights of Badassdom" would be fun. That looks fantastic. 

I have felt sorry for entertainers who have to perform in the exhibit hall. Poor Tom Smith (filk guy who was there a couple of years ago) looked forelorn as people passed by not stopping to listen to him. I think a schedule of performances posted by the area would be good. Then, people could make a point to stop by instead of just happening upon the entertainers. 

Having some of the entertainment on Wednesday night for those who arrive early would be good too. 

See y'all next week! Yay! Can hardly wait! Yay!

Peace,

Ann

There is no way to peace. Peace is the way.
Page 1 of 1 (17 items)