Gen Con Community

Welcome to Gen Con Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Quickie Pointers, or What I've Learned After 8 GenCons

Last post 08-02-2012 2:05 PM by NascragMan. 147 replies.
Page 4 of 8 (148 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-08-2012 10:36 AM In reply to

• ladyimmortal
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 06-02-2006
    • A State of Insanity, very near a town near you...
    • Game Theorist
    • Points 25,681
    • Group (Gamer Wenches)
      Group (Gen Con United Nations)
      Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)
      Group (Nascrag)

Re: Quickie Pointers, or What I've Learned After 8 GenCons

I've seen a few of the panhandlers break these rules, especially if is supposed just be holding a sign or jingling a cup of change....

LadyImmortal

" I'm sorry Daisy but I'm a loner... and a loner's gotta be alone!!"
  • 02-08-2012 10:44 AM In reply to

• atstepchild
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-02-2007
    • My Mind's in the Gutter, My body's in Columbus, OH
    • Gaming Encyclopedia
    • Points 48,865
    • Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)
      Group (Nascrag)
      Tester

It's only illegal if you get caught.
    Quote from Dragons of the Dwarven Depths, p259 ... Tas and Tanis talking after Tas says a prayer for the massacred Gully Dwarves.
    "It was good of you to think of that," said Tanis. "None of the rest of us did."
    "You're busy thinking big things," said Tas. "I keep track of the small stuff."

www.fatdragongames.com/ Cardstock models at great prices... by one of our own.
    www.kentuckyfriedgamers.com/ Friendliest forums on the web. Just Downhome Fun. YEEEHAAWWW!!!
    www.whosyergamers.org/wygms/ Indiana based group to provide free gaming and increased exposure.
    Gamers After Dark is for gaming adults looking for an upscale, higher quality party experience. We work to bring people together in a secure, non-threatening environment. Contact me if interested in details.
    Who's Yer Con, April 17-19, 2015
  • 02-08-2012 1:59 PM In reply to

• Draven
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-01-2006
    • Coming to A Wal-Mart near you!
    • Gaming Know-it-All
    • Points 60,447
    • Dead Games Society
      Group (Mavens)

Attend KFG events on Tuesday night.  I don't remember seeing a panhandler on Tuesday.
    KFG Wednesday Gaming - August 13, 2014! Arrive early and start gaming!

Join us on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/KentuckyFriedGamers/

• 02-09-2012 6:09 AM In reply to

• ladyimmortal
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 06-02-2006
    • A State of Insanity, very near a town near you...
    • Game Theorist
    • Points 25,681
    • Group (Gamer Wenches)
      Group (Nascrag)

I don't get to Indy until Weds afternoon - can't afford yet another night of hotelage :D.

Alas!

LadyImmortal

" I'm sorry Daisy but I'm a loner... and a loner's gotta be alone!!"
  • 02-09-2012 6:27 AM In reply to

• nmhall
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-11-2011
    • South Florida
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 4,953
    • Group (Gen Con United Nations)

ladyimmortal:

I don't get to Indy until Weds afternoon - can't afford yet another night of hotelage :D.

Alas!

Same here, Wednesday around noon for me. Maybe in 2013 I'll try to sneak in a Tuesday under the wife's nose! Big Smile

~Nathan

Never half ass two things, whole ass one thing.
    -Ron Swanson

@nmhall

• 02-09-2012 6:38 AM In reply to

• Keeper
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-02-2006
    • Five block from the ICC
    • Game Theorist
    • Points 25,587
    • Dead Games Society
      Group (Mavens)
      VIG

atstepchild:
    It's only illegal if you get caught.

Or jury nullication cause sometime the law she is broke.

Randu

Gen Con Action Historian
    Keeperpoloza-35 Years of Hanging aroung
    The Keeper Mega Fun Time Site!
    http://mypage.iu.edu/~wrporter
  • 02-09-2012 7:37 AM In reply to

• Generichick
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 03-02-2006
    • Southfield, MI
    • Game Theorist
    • Points 20,946
    • Group (Gamer Wenches)
      Group (Mavens)

Let's see:

If you can get into town early, do it - Indianapolis has so much more to see than just the convention (the Zoo is amazing, the minor league baseball team is a lot of fun to watch, museums, etc).

Lots of gaming and lots of geeks start poking their heads up by Monday afternoon. It's like whack a mole, only with gamers.

Many many people who don't go to GenCon do go downtown to "look at the costumes".

It's funny how a person dressed up in football jerseys, with facepaint and foam fingers can stare at us in our costumes. It's even funnier when we point out they are essentially doing the same thing for a sports game.

Showering is essential. with soap. And water. Trust me, the con will still be there in 20 minutes.

You know you should pre-register. You are told you should pre-register. You don't bother to pre-reg. Don't complain about the line lengths to door reg.

Ask any random con-goer where someplace is and they can just as likely point it out as the guys in the staff shirts.

Did I mention showering?

Shoes - good walking shoes, BROKEN IN. Having a blister on your foot suuuuuucccccckkkkkksssss.

Have a hotel close. Yes, living in Indy I can drive home and back, but something about being downtown for most of it makes it seem like it's so much more.

Ooookay then, Sparky. And after we kill it, we can go to Disneyland!
    Give you a couple of severed heads and a pile of dead cows and you're Mr. Sunshine.

Gen Con UN Ambassador for Detroit, MI

• 02-09-2012 7:40 AM In reply to

• Generichick
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 03-02-2006
    • Southfield, MI
    • Game Theorist
    • Points 20,946
    • Group (Gamer Wenches)
      Group (Mavens)

What the heck...why didn't anything space out? anyone? Stupid forums.
    Ooookay then, Sparky. And after we kill it, we can go to Disneyland!
    Give you a couple of severed heads and a pile of dead cows and you're Mr. Sunshine.

Gen Con UN Ambassador for Detroit, MI

• 02-09-2012 7:47 AM In reply to

• atstepchild
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-02-2007
    • Gaming Encyclopedia
    • Points 48,865
      Group (Nascrag)
      Tester

Did you post it from a phone? Chrome? I think both have had issues.

Quote from Dragons of the Dwarven Depths, p259 ... Tas and Tanis talking after Tas says a prayer for the massacred Gully Dwarves.
    "It was good of you to think of that," said Tanis. "None of the rest of us did."

www.kentuckyfriedgamers.com/ Friendliest forums on the web. Just Downhome Fun. YEEEHAAWWW!!!
    www.whosyergamers.org/wygms/ Indiana based group to provide free gaming and increased exposure.
    Gamers After Dark is for gaming adults looking for an upscale, higher quality party experience. We work to bring people together in a secure, non-threatening environment. Contact me if interested in details.
  • 02-09-2012 7:49 AM In reply to

• nmhall
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-11-2011
    • South Florida
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 4,953
    • Group (Gen Con United Nations)

Generichick:
    What the heck...why didn't anything space out? anyone? Stupid forums.
    atstepchild:

Did you post it from a phone? Chrome? I think both have had issues.

Yeah, I use chrome and have to use html tags for all of my posts...

~Nathan

Never half ass two things, whole ass one thing.
    -Ron Swanson

@nmhall

• 02-10-2012 9:59 AM In reply to

• Thane9
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-03-2009
    • Lurker
    • Points 32

Nitehood:

How about another tip from someone who had their first GenCon experience last year....

Be courteous, helpful and patient with the fellow gamers at your table. Just because you live & breath the game and system and have been playing it for the last 10 years religiously every week and at the Con, doesn’t mean the guy/gal next to you has. They may be new to the game and joined to learn the game to take it back home to their normal group because it looked and sounded AWESOME.

Don’t roll your eyes, say “Jeez” under your breath to them or similar, because they dont know the rules well. They are intimidated enough playing with seasoned players in a “new to them” game. Treat them like padwans and help them.

Who knows the next year, they may run into you again and thank you for the guidance. Not to mention you may have added more players to your favorite game and keep it in demand…

This is a great post, and actually should be written in to a more succinct Rule #1.

>Bringing a new gamer into the fold is the most powerful action a current gamer can take. 

This can be achieved many ways, and "new" doesn't have to mean someone who has never played anything ever, it can just be someone new to that particular system.

Without new gamers our hobby of choice will die.  And more importantly without a gaming culture that understands/appreciates/groks our games we are doomed to repeat the stigma and hatred of the past. 

I grew up gaming in the 70s and 80s when local churches held TSR book burnings.  When parents of my friends would call my parents to tell them I couldn't play with them any more because I had those books and I played that game.  We have it REALLY good these days where gamers and gaming culture is embraced.  But that is depedant on NOT BEING A JERK and bringing more and more people around to appreciating what we see in gaming. 

If there's one thing I enjoy more than anything at GenCon it's being surrounded by people who understand and value gaming like I do.  Even if I never played a single game all weekend, it'd be worth every penny just for that reason alone. 

Sorry, I got a little carried away there, but this is one thing near and dear to my heart. 

• 02-13-2012 3:03 PM In reply to

• Quarex
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-09-2009
    • Auction Store, Vermont
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 4,516

Generichick:
    Let's see:
    It's funny how a person dressed up in football jerseys, with facepaint and foam fingers can stare at us in our costumes. It's even funnier when we point out they are essentially doing the same thing for a sports game.

If you really want to antagonize someone like that, just point out that fantasy football is almost the exact same thing as Dungeons & Dragons, but with sports instead of swords.

(Also I agree that staying right by the convention just makes everything more immersive and fun than driving in from your suburban hotel and driving home at night; you can be as sponaneous as you like, because your hotel is not going anywhere, so if you want to game until 4 and then sleep for an hour and start gaming again at 6, hey, go for broke!  Though I personally did not enjoy going on no sleep even when I was of the age when you supposedly like that sort of thing.)

• 02-13-2012 5:21 PM In reply to

What is "Are you a Werewolf?"

• 02-13-2012 6:18 PM In reply to

• atstepchild
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-02-2007
    • Gaming Encyclopedia
    • Points 48,865
      Group (Nascrag)
      Tester

http://www.wunderland.com/LooneyLabs/Werewolf/

Basically, you sit around in a circle. Everyone gets a card, 2 of which are werewolves, 1 is a seer and everyone else is a villiager. You put your head down and close your eyes, then beat rhythmically on your leg. The were's 'wake up' and pick someone between them to eat. The seer then wakes up and points at someone, and the GM (Storyteller IIRC) confirms if they are right or not. Then they back to leg slapping. They then try to 'vote off the island' any were's. They point, and try to persuade everyone else into doing the same. The villagers win if they get the 2 werewolves before they get down to a certain number of people left alive. Basically, it's a bluffing game.

• 02-13-2012 6:36 PM In reply to

So how do you find one of these nightime hall games?

• 02-13-2012 6:38 PM In reply to

• atstepchild
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-02-2007
    • Gaming Encyclopedia
    • Points 48,865
      Group (Nascrag)
      Tester

Just wander around the ICC or most of the hotels at night. You won't miss them. They pop up EVERYWHERE. (Just be careful of fire code.)

• 02-13-2012 9:19 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-22-2007
    • Game Theorist
    • Points 16,365
    • Group (BYOV)

Quarex:

If you really want to antagonize someone like that, just point out that fantasy football is almost the exact same thing as Dungeons & Dragons, but with sports instead of swords.

I dunno...speaking as a D&D player for 30+ years and a FFB player for 10+, I'd have to say that FFB is actually much dorkier. You only get to manage your FFB team...pick who plays, who's on your team. That would be like choosing which PCs to send into a dungeon, and then just sitting back and watching as the details were all worked out without your input.

Now that I make that analogy, though...I think that would be a cool online multiplayer game. A massive Warcraft-like world, filled with monsters and heroes...only all the players do is build teams of heroes to send on quests, 'draft' new heroes, trade heroes, and then the game does all the actual combat. I'd sincerely like that game a lot.

• 02-13-2012 10:53 PM In reply to

• ozhrok
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-27-2011
    • Mt. Vernon IL
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 570

On the food related front I learned last year you can order pizza from "Hot Box Pizza" late into the night. (like 4am) Also they put Tootsie Rolls in the box and they get all warm and delicious............

• 02-14-2012 9:40 AM In reply to

ozhrok:

On the food related front I learned last year you can order pizza from "Hot Box Pizza" late into the night. (like 4am) Also they put Tootsie Rolls in the box and they get all warm and delicious............

Thanks, great info. I know there have been a few times we were looking for a late night Pizza fix delivered, and couldn't find anything past 12:00.

• 02-14-2012 10:51 AM In reply to

• Hand of Evil
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-07-2006
    • Columbia SC
    • Game Master
    • Points 11,612

Nyghtdreamers:

So how do you find one of these nightime hall games?

Also, people will put out flyers here and there at the Con

Page 4 of 8 (148 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »