Gen Con Community

Welcome to Gen Con Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Gencon costs

Last post 05-07-2012 2:31 PM by NDGeekboy. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-04-2012 2:20 PM

• bearcat12
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2012
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 1,044

Gencon costs

Hey everyone, I finally managed to lock down a couple of jobs and I believe I am able to go this year (YAY!). I'm looking for some input on general costs for the con in and was wondering if my numbers are pretty accurate. I don't participate in many sanctioned events but instead do a lot of cheap booster drafts with friends (heroclix). Food $130.00 Badge $84.20 Gas Money $50.00 Generic Tickets $72.00 (enough for 4 events) Alcohol $150.00 Hotel Room $200.00 (for my share, could be more or less depending where I end up staying Dealer's Hall $300.00 (enough to pick up a few things I want and a new game system if I find one) Does this seem like it will be enough?
  • 05-04-2012 2:42 PM In reply to

• s3vn
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-15-2012
    • Flint, MI
    • Attendee
    • Points 3,017

Re: Gencon costs

Hello there! I am not sure on all of the costs since this will be my first year going as well, but if guys are looking for a couple other peeps to play some heroclix with hit.me up!
    Let's get Mathematical!!!!!

• 05-04-2012 2:52 PM In reply to

Congrats on being able to go, Bearcat.  Your budget looks reasonable to me.  Add probably $50 for your share of parking though.

-Rocky
    Darkangel866
    Michigan Marauder
    2012 Munchkin World Champion
  • 05-04-2012 4:28 PM In reply to

• townsesan
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 01-29-2012
    • Alabama
    • Attendee
    • Points 1,890
    • Group (Gamer Wenches)
      Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)
      VIG

This is my first year as well. That's great you're budgeting for the Dealer's Hall. I almost overlooked that and was going to mention it. :P Will your hotel provide a complimentary breakfast? If I had to change anything, it would be increasing your food budget a bit, to maybe $150. But, this is coming from a person who enjoys splurging on food and has plans of checking out several nice restaurants, especially ones I don't have back home. D:
  • 05-04-2012 7:32 PM In reply to

• marimacc
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 03-01-2006
    • DC metro area
    • Gaming Know-it-All
    • Points 100,924
    • ForumsAdministrator

Hi all, and welcome to the Gen Con forums!

I'm going to suggest to you all that with pricing concerns that you look at some of the many threads we've had in the past few weeks about this very topic, there's lots of good info there. I can't really speak as to your gas money, since I don't know where you are coming from, your alcohol costs since I don't know what/how much you drink, or your event costs, since you decide that. Also, I"m going to assume you are coming for 4 days, you haven't stated that though, so things could vary.

I think in some of our prior threads about food costs, we decided that about $20 a day was an ABSOLUTE minimum; you can spend basically any amount more than that, whatever you can afford really.

I think $50 a night is a reasonable amount for a 1/4 share of a hotel room.

Of course Dealer's room is as much or as little as you like.

Basically, this is very hard to quantify, and the general consensus has been that Gen Con can be as cheap, or as expensive, as you want to be, but I think you have a pretty decent start on estimates there.

Gen Con Forums Coordinator
    Gen Con SPA track Coordinator
    Gen Con Costume track Coordinator
    Code of Conduct

• 05-04-2012 10:05 PM In reply to

• Just Saiyan
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-08-2012
    • Dallas, TX
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 500

There are a few bottle shops in the area (easily within walking distance) that you can really cut down on your alcohol costs by just getting a few bottles there (if you don't bring your own in the first place). Either have a room party in your hotel room or just start your evening there so when you do make it out, your already well on your way to where you need to go! Some hotels even rent mini-fridges so you can keep your mixers cool!
    JustSaiyan.com - A gaming community with Balls!
  • 05-05-2012 2:18 AM In reply to

• NDGeekboy
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-04-2006
    • The Black Hole of North America
    • Gaming Encyclopedia
    • Points 42,686
    • Tester

Heya Bearcat! Welcome aboard!

Regarding your budget, the only thing I can 100% agree on is the $84.20 for the badge. Based on the price, I'm guessing you're going all four days. Like the others have been saying, without knowing you, your interests, your tastes, your hotel, and your whatnot, it's nigh-impossible to tell you if your budget will work out.

If you're staying downtown and you have some roommates, $200 will probably work. If you're going on the cheap for food -- hitting the grocery store, using coolers to stow food in the hotel room, hit the food court instead of dropping $30 on a meal -- $130 could work. I'd probably plan on a bit extra, just in case you find you cut yourself short or in case you want to splurge a little.

$50 for gas -- if you're from Indy and plan on doing a lot of cruising, you're golden; if you're coming from California and not splitting the costs, you're cutting yourself way short.

I hear that a lot of people have luck getting into events with Generics, but I don't trust my luck; I always go for the Event tickets to make sure I have a slot in a game. $72 in Generics for *four* events? You're looking at $18 per event? What events are looking at that cost that much? There are thousands of events at Gen Con, and many of them are a lot cheaper, probably $4-$6 on average. When the Event Catalog comes out Tuesday, be sure to shop around.

Alcohol and the Exhibit Hall, I can't comment on. I'm not a drinker, and I don't spend anywhere near that much in the Exhibit Hall. I don't have anything against any of the dealers; it's just that I don't have a gaming group here so spending money on games is pretty well pointless for me.

Hope you enjoy your first time, and, again, welcome aboard!

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different.
    - Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

You see, you just can't trust anyone. The first time I let a girl into my life and she tried to eat me.
    - Columbus, Zombieland

I guess that's what my horoscope meant when it said, "Ka-Boom."
    - Al Bundy, Married: With Children

The fundamental cause of trouble in this world is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
    - Bertrand Russell
  • 05-05-2012 8:31 AM In reply to

• bearcat12
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2012
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 1,044

Hey guys thanks for the responses. I am planning on four days, maybe Wednesday night out at the airport with a few people so that shouldn't be too much. The events I play in are heroclix mainly which are usually two $12 boosters to play discounted to $18 for the event. Food I plan on bringing granola bars and such for breakfast and lunch or the food court for lunch. Dinner we have found nice places to go to for around $15 to $20. I'm only driving in from Cincinnati, OH with a couple of people which is just about a two hour drive so gas may actually be cheaper for my share depending on how much it costs per gallon at the time. Also I typically bring stuff to sell to the dealers but I don't want to factor that in because that would just be extra and I don't want to depend on that.
  • 05-05-2012 1:51 PM In reply to

• NDGeekboy
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-04-2006
    • Gaming Encyclopedia
    • Points 42,686
    • Tester

Budgeting long is always a good idea. It gives you a bit of wiggle room in case something goes wrong or in case something so right pops up that you can't pass on it.

As for selling things to the dealers -- do dealers buy things at Gen Con? I thought they just sold things there. Or are you talking about the Auction, where you can enter things to be (hopefully) sold?

You see, you just can't trust anyone. The first time I let a girl into my life and she tried to eat me.
    - Columbus, Zombieland

The fundamental cause of trouble in this world is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
    - Bertrand Russell
  • 05-05-2012 2:47 PM In reply to

• Rbree
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-11-2006
    • Tokyo, Japan
    • Oracle of Gaming
    • Points 28,063
    • Dead Games Society
      Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)

Alot mof the after market collectable dealers will buy at the con... Hero Clix Magic cards etc etc...with so many boosters bought and opened for booster drafts it's agood practice for them to buy while they are there.

• 05-07-2012 7:07 AM In reply to

• bearcat12
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2012
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 1,044

Ya last year I sold a bunch of Heroclix I never planned on playing and made about $600 dollars and came away from Gencon wit a profit (what a shock right). I won't have much or anything to sell this year as I had to clean out the hobbies to cover rent and stuff when I lost my job in the winter. College + Rent + Beer + No job =BROKE
  • 05-07-2012 2:31 PM In reply to

• NDGeekboy
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-04-2006
    • Gaming Encyclopedia
    • Points 42,686
    • Tester

Rbree:

Alot mof the after market collectable dealers will buy at the con... Hero Clix Magic cards etc etc...with so many boosters bought and opened for booster drafts it's agood practice for them to buy while they are there.

bearcat12:
    Ya last year I sold a bunch of Heroclix I never planned on playing and made about $600 dollars and came away from Gencon wit a profit (what a shock right).

I didn't know this. Hmm, I learned something new today.

Oh, oh. I hope that doesn't fill my quota.

- Columbus, Zombieland

- Bertrand Russell
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)