Gen Con Community

Welcome to Gen Con Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

2013 Hotel Prices

Last post 02-04-2013 8:20 AM by Osarious. 64 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (65 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-04-2013 8:55 AM In reply to

• CrazyFish
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-28-2006
    • Edwardsville, IL
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 3,532
    • VIG

Re: 2013 Hotel Prices

eapeas, for your budget be sure to take into account that Indianapolis charges a 17% tax on rooms.  I've always stayed at the Westin, so I can't really advise you on which hotel to choose. 

As for choosing hotels through the housing block, when you register for your badge you will be given a code to get into the hotel registration system.  Hotel registration opens two days after badge registration (January 29 for this year).  At that time, you will be given a list of hotels to choose from.  You will only be able to select hotels which are currently available (i.e. if a specific hotel completely sells out, you won't be able to choose it).  One thing to note: If you can't get the hotel you really want, call the Housing Bureau and get put on a waiting list.  There are always cancellations, so there is a chance you can be switched to your preferred hotel.  I did that a few years ago and it worked for me.

• 01-04-2013 8:57 AM In reply to

• brumcg
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-15-2007
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 648

eapeas:
    eal close to the convention and we have budgeted $200 a night to do so.

Keep in mind the 17% hotel tax in Indy (according to my buddy who lives in Indy).

For a Skywalk connecting hotel, that only leaves the Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marriott Downtown Indianapolis under $200.

Then if you have a car, parking is going to cost an additional $20 or more a night.

• 01-04-2013 9:27 AM In reply to

• eapeas
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-04-2013
    • Points 338

I guess that I should have said base price for the hotel is budgeted for $200. We understand the taxes etc. But thank you nonetheless.
  • 01-07-2013 1:55 PM In reply to

• raphael76
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-20-2006
    • Anderson, IN
    • Attendee
    • Points 1,906

I've gone to GenCon for several years, but last year was my first time staying in a hotel downtown. I stayed at the JW Marriott. VERY nice hotel, well worth the price and is still connected to the convention center. It's probably where we will be staying again this year. 

• 01-11-2013 10:41 AM In reply to

• nmhall
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-11-2011
    • South Florida
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 4,953
    • Group (Gen Con United Nations)
      Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)

raphael76:
    I stayed at the JW Marriott. VERY nice hotel, well worth the price and is still connected to the convention center.

Second that, I'll also be staying there again this year.

~Nathan

Never half ass two things, whole ass one thing.
    -Ron Swanson

@nmhall

• 01-11-2013 10:52 AM In reply to

• daveculp
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-13-2012
    • Carrollton, TX
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 5,268

Funny, I currently have a reservation at one of the downtown hotels on this list at a $10.00 CHEAPER rate than the housing block rate.
  • 01-11-2013 12:56 PM In reply to

• garhkal
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-04-2006
    • Game Theorist
    • Points 14,382

Wow..  Looks like unless i get a job soon (or get put down for Gming 8 slots and therefore a room) i might be skipping out on GC this year.

It's not who you kill but how they die!.
    You cannot shoot what you cannot see, and
    You cannot dodge it if you do not know it is comming!!!
  • 01-12-2013 1:53 PM In reply to

I have a quick question about the housing block's rooms for anyone in the know.. What kinda room do these prices reflect? Single, double, twin, queen, king, etc?
  • 01-13-2013 2:08 AM In reply to

• Sherilyn
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 03-01-2006
    • Columbus, Oh
    • Oracle of Gaming
    • Points 30,244
    • Group (Gamer Wenches)
      Group (Gen Con United Nations)

Sergent_Zero:
    I have a quick question about the housing block's rooms for anyone in the know.. What kinda room do these prices reflect? Single, double, twin, queen, king, etc?

it will be for whatever their standard double is.  Some hotels have standards and some queens, just depends on the particular hotel.  Single king rooms are typically the same rate as well, there is no savings for being only one bed in the room. 

• 01-13-2013 6:54 AM In reply to

I am glad I am reserved in the Hilton at 136.50

• 01-13-2013 1:33 PM In reply to

Hi, does anyone know what the Westin Concierge lounge is like please? And any idea how much extra it is over the standard room price in the block? And, most of all, is it worth the extra money? Cheers, Karen
  • 01-17-2013 6:37 PM In reply to

• Nialith
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-22-2007
    • Indianapolis, IN
    • Attendee
    • Points 1,748
    • Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)

For work, I've stayed at the JW a couple times in the last year and noticed the rooms I stayed in didn't have a mini fridge and getting ice is kind of a pain as the machines aren't on all floors. Maybe some rooms have them but it didn't look like it. Just throwing that out for anyone that depends on a fridge for food.

Also, the JW charges $28 a night for parking. It's cheaper to park at the White River garage across the street if need be. I believe the Westin charged me something very similar last year as well.

• 01-17-2013 6:46 PM In reply to

• atstepchild
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-02-2007
    • My Mind's in the Gutter, My body's in Columbus, OH
    • Gaming Encyclopedia
    • Points 48,011
      Group (Nascrag)
      Tester

Nialith, if it's any consolation, the Crowne is $22 per day self-park or $30 for valet. Throw in tips for when you retrieve / drop off your car if you need it throughout the course of the con. While high, that rate is not unusual. Most (not all) of the lots downtown seem to run around $20 per day with no in-out or more. Sure, there are some considerably cheaper places if you can find them. Just keep in mind it's pretty standard fare down there.
    Quote from Dragons of the Dwarven Depths, p259 ... Tas and Tanis talking after Tas says a prayer for the massacred Gully Dwarves.
    "It was good of you to think of that," said Tanis. "None of the rest of us did."
    "You're busy thinking big things," said Tas. "I keep track of the small stuff."

www.fatdragongames.com/ Cardstock models at great prices... by one of our own.
    www.kentuckyfriedgamers.com/ Friendliest forums on the web. Just Downhome Fun. YEEEHAAWWW!!!
    www.whosyergamers.org/wygms/ Indiana based group to provide free gaming and increased exposure.
    Gamers After Dark is for gaming adults looking for an upscale, higher quality party experience. We work to bring people together in a secure, non-threatening environment. Contact me if interested in details.
    Who's Yer Con, April 17-19, 2015
  • 01-18-2013 7:39 AM In reply to

• nmhall
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 07-11-2011
    • South Florida
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 4,953

Nialith:
    the rooms I stayed in didn't have a mini fridge

I've stayed the last two cons at the JW. Overall, I couldn't be happier with it, but they really do need to get some mini fridges in there. None of my rooms or my friends rooms have had them either.

~Nathan

Never half ass two things, whole ass one thing.
    -Ron Swanson

@nmhall

• 01-18-2013 8:50 PM In reply to

• Triad1
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-10-2011
    • Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
    • Attendee
    • Points 2,420

I stayed at the La Quinta downtown last year.  Great deal for what you get -- free parking and breakfast and a good room within a 20min walk to the the convention centre.  I paid 128+tax (for one room, two double beds).  This year I rebooked at 136 + tax.  Happy that I did.  I think it's sold out now.  It's not through the Housing Block though.

Damn, I love Gen Con! Yes
  • 01-24-2013 8:45 AM In reply to

• Tsara
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 06-28-2006
    • Kirkland, WA
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 292

The current deal on hotwire.com puts the Hyatt Regency downtown at about $190. If the GenCon housing block is going for $200, then I got myself a nice little deal there. :)
  • 01-24-2013 8:58 AM In reply to

• daveculp
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-13-2012
    • Carrollton, TX
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 5,268

Tsara:
    The current deal on hotwire.com puts the Hyatt Regency downtown at about $190. If the GenCon housing block is going for $200, then I got myself a nice little deal there. :)

I have noticed the GenCOn housing block can be a bit more expensive for a few hotels than just booking directly through the hotel.

• 01-24-2013 5:59 PM In reply to

• atstepchild
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-02-2007
    • My Mind's in the Gutter, My body's in Columbus, OH
    • Gaming Encyclopedia
    • Points 48,011
      Group (Nascrag)
      Tester

I'm surprised I never see anyone staying at the InTown Suites on the East side. It's listed at $169 / week. Sure it's not downtown, but we have lots of people who stay out that way to save a few bucks.
    Quote from Dragons of the Dwarven Depths, p259 ... Tas and Tanis talking after Tas says a prayer for the massacred Gully Dwarves.
    "It was good of you to think of that," said Tanis. "None of the rest of us did."
    "You're busy thinking big things," said Tas. "I keep track of the small stuff."

www.fatdragongames.com/ Cardstock models at great prices... by one of our own.
    www.kentuckyfriedgamers.com/ Friendliest forums on the web. Just Downhome Fun. YEEEHAAWWW!!!
    www.whosyergamers.org/wygms/ Indiana based group to provide free gaming and increased exposure.
    Gamers After Dark is for gaming adults looking for an upscale, higher quality party experience. We work to bring people together in a secure, non-threatening environment. Contact me if interested in details.
    Who's Yer Con, April 17-19, 2015
  • 01-24-2013 6:44 PM In reply to

• laohu1
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 07-30-2007
    • Washington DC
    • Game Master
    • Points 12,162

The Hyatt Regency actually has a government rate available, so if you are military, state or federal government, you can try them.  Got a rate of $113 for a king - no doubles were available.  You don't need orders, just a government employee id when you check in.

Representative of Washington, DC Gen Con United Nations - "Bringing together all nations in the ongoing fight against imaginary antagonists."

Overheard in D & D: There's free beer in the temple!!

• 01-28-2013 2:36 PM In reply to

• squirecam
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-02-2006
    • Attendee
    • Points 1,841

Its a shame. The hotel prices the weeks before Gencon are much cheaper. Gencon "guarantees" that the rooms will be used....and the hotels use the opportunity to jack up prices.

Page 2 of 4 (65 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >