Gen Con Community

Welcome to Gen Con Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

First time at GenCon, what should not be missed?

Last post 04-19-2013 6:59 PM by IUHoosier. 33 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (34 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-05-2013 12:56 PM

• Left
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-16-2013
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 1,374

First time at GenCon, what should not be missed?

This will be my groups first time at GenCon and I am trying to figure out what the "Your must try this at least once" events are. So far we have the following:

True Dungeon

Hickman's Killer Breakfast

Zombie walk

I know there has to be more so I am hoping all of you can help fill in the blanks. Note: none of us do Cosplay and I am know about Nascrag ;) -Left

• 04-05-2013 1:17 PM In reply to

• KatTsunade
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 07-27-2008
    • Lafayette, Indiana
    • Gamer
    • Points 9,432
    • Group (Gamer Wenches)
      Group (Gen Con United Nations)

Re: First time at GenCon, what should not be missed?

Obviously the big event, Gen Co, should NOT be missed! It's gotta be the best one yet! Another event you really shouldn't miss is the Stink! It's the 10th anniversary this year!  :D

Throw in some wit and sarcasm here and ramblings of kitties.

• 04-05-2013 2:01 PM In reply to

• jsfetzik
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-01-2006
    • Glenview IL
    • Gamer
    • Points 6,656
    • Dead Games Society
      Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)
      Group (Nascrag)

Off the top of my head, things to check out at least once include the Stink event on Wednesday and the Cthulhu Rally. Even if you don't cosplay you should catch the costume parade at least once. Things to always check out, usually more than once during the con, include the Auction and Cardhalla.
    Facta non verba
  • 04-05-2013 2:02 PM In reply to

• NDGeekboy
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-04-2006
    • The Black Hole of North America
    • Gaming Encyclopedia
    • Points 40,492
    • Tester

I think the biggest event for me is a completely free, non-ticketed non-event:  Time to breathe. Please, whatever you guys do, whatever you hope to do, remember to take the time to decompress and just enjoy the scenery. You won't get to do Everything. Nuts, this'll be my eighth Gen Con, and I'm still chipping away at the tip of that iceberg.

That said, if you enjoy RPGs, you'll be hard-pressed to find anything better than the games put on by Evil Fleet, especially Paranoia Trek.

There's always entertainment, too. One show that I've now assigned a permanent dibs in my Gen Con schedule is the Glitter Guild Burlesque (if you enjoy a more risque, adult-oriented show).

I also tend to gravitate towards zombie-themed games, particularly board games. The last couple years, there's been a ton of them, and I don't see that dying off any time soon.

A couple of years ago, I spotted an event featuring different chess variants, including 3D chess, Chinese chess, and four-way chess. I really wish I got into that then because I didn't see it listed for last year. Crossing my fingers for this year.

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different.
    - Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

You see, you just can't trust anyone. The first time I let a girl into my life and she tried to eat me.
    - Columbus, Zombieland

I guess that's what my horoscope meant when it said, "Ka-Boom."
    - Al Bundy, Married: With Children

The fundamental cause of trouble in this world is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
    - Bertrand Russell
  • 04-05-2013 6:24 PM In reply to

• Brad
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-26-2009
    • Australia
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 806
    • Senior Volunteer

NDGeekboy is right you will never get to see everything, just remember to have fun. if you arrive on the Wednesday grab your tickets as early as you can, it helps avoid possible long lines. check the forums for non gencon events, Wednesday normally has a few run, and if you're not a local have a peek about the city, I travel in and enjoy visiting Indy. Last year there was a specialty soft drink store near the monument I hope to visit again. either way get ready and have plenty of sleep saved up, you'll see variations but my rule of thumb 1 shower a day 2 meals a day 4 hours of sleep a day. :D
    Come dice with me!
  • 04-05-2013 6:54 PM In reply to

• mordrin
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-01-2007
    • Chicagoish
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 4,664
    • Dead Games Society

Keep in mind - if you intend to keep coming, there's no need to cram every special event into one year.  In fact,I'd recommend against it.  Spread them out a bit.

In addition to what's out there, some other unique things:

Dealer Hall (a few hours at least for your first year)

Saturday Dance (if that sort of thing appeals to you)

late night Are You A Werewolf? is very popular (although it didn't do much for me)

Hentai Dubbing

Also as ND said, the rare little events should be jumped on when they come up...although as a noob, I'm sure it can be hard to get a feel for what's around every year and what isn't.

I know nobody likes an I Told You So, but...I told you so.

http://community.gencon.com/forums/p/29972/333921.aspx#333921

When will people learn to reject this reflexive, fundamental belief that "growth is inherently good"?
  • 04-05-2013 7:48 PM In reply to

• Draven
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-01-2006
    • Coming to A Wal-Mart near you!
    • Gaming Know-it-All
    • Points 58,563
    • Dead Games Society
      Group (Mavens)

Play something new and try to have a variety of games. 

Cautionary tale: The first year I attended GenCon, my group regularly played Battletech (we'd played bi-weekly or monthly for years).  So, when I registered for events, I played Battletech from dawn to dark for three days straight.  I can count on one hand the number of times I've played Battletech since then.

KFG Wednesday Gaming - August 13, 2014! Arrive early and start gaming!

Join us on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/KentuckyFriedGamers/

• 04-05-2013 8:01 PM In reply to

• Left
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-16-2013
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 1,374

Thank you all for all of your idea, thoughts, and suggestions.  For the underlying theme of most posts, I guess I did a poor job with my opening.  From reading, too many forums posts, survival guides, etc. on GenCon I understand that overbooking as a new comer is common and a bad idea.  The main reason for this post is I wanted to collect the best ideas to allow my group to make an informed decision on what we want to do with out time.  As it stands we only have 4 events that we most likely will attend.  I was looking to add 2 or 3 more for the entire weekend.  

Again, thank you all for your knowledge.  

• 04-05-2013 8:24 PM In reply to

• Left
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-16-2013
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 1,374

KatTsunade:

Obviously the big event, Gen Co, should NOT be missed! It's gotta be the best one yet! Another event you really shouldn't miss is the Stink! It's the 10th anniversary this year!  :D

So most of the events suggested so far I have been able to look up but I fail in finding something on "Gen Co", any hints?

• 04-05-2013 8:27 PM In reply to

• Draven
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-01-2006
    • Gaming Know-it-All
    • Points 58,563
    • Dead Games Society
      Group (Mavens)

It's hard to nail down a list of suggestions without knowing your tastes and preferences.  For instance, a lot of folks dig the GenCon Dance on Saturday, but that doesn't appeal to me.  Some folks like boardgames, some folks prefer RPGs, blah, blah, blah.

One thing that I think would appeal to most tastes is going to the Auction Store or maybe attending a portion of the auction.

• 04-05-2013 8:27 PM In reply to

• Draven
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-01-2006
    • Gaming Know-it-All
    • Points 58,563
    • Dead Games Society
      Group (Mavens)

Left:

KatTsunade:

So most of the events suggested so far I have been able to look up but I fail in finding something on "Gen Co", any hints?

I think she's referring to GenCon itself.

• 04-05-2013 9:37 PM In reply to

• Quarex
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-09-2009
    • Auction Store, Vermont
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 4,064

Draven:

One thing that I think would appeal to most tastes is going to the Auction Store or maybe attending a portion of the auction.

Yeah, the Auction Store has something for (almost) everyone regardless of nerd interest, and if you buy a bidder card for $1 you can even bid on things being sold while waiting in line/browsing the store. It is the most efficient dual-track Gen-Conning you can do!

The Exhibit/Dealer Hall can never be overstated, though. There was someone last year who acknowledged having actually not gone in there in his first two years at the convention, because nobody told him it was a big deal. It is a big deal. The biggest deal.
  • 04-05-2013 10:21 PM In reply to

• KatTsunade
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 07-27-2008
    • Lafayette, Indiana
    • Gamer
    • Points 9,432
    • Group (Gamer Wenches)

Quarex:
    Draven:

Yeah, the Auction Store has something for (almost) everyone regardless of nerd interest, and if you buy a bidder card for $1 you can even bid on things being sold while waiting in line/browsing the store. It is the most efficient dual-track Gen-Conning you can do!

The Exhibit/Dealer Hall can never be overstated, though. There was someone last year who acknowledged having actually not gone in there in his first two years at the convention, because nobody told him it was a big deal. It is a big deal. The biggest deal.

On another thread I said this before, but I was in the Exhibit hall all 4 days and I would swear I saw something new EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. It's awesome in there!

• 04-06-2013 4:20 AM In reply to

• thadrin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-15-2010
    • Uppsala, Sweden
    • Attendee
    • Points 2,454

I see the Dealer hall as the beating heart of Gencon. In many ways it is what makes Gencon unique. NOWHERE else will you find so much amazing, fascinating, disturbing and downright awesome stuff as you will there.

You can meet the creators of your favourite games. You can demo stuff that won't be out for months or even years. You can get prerelease and exclusive stuff. You can find stuff you didn't even know existed. You can find great little games produced by some indie manufacturer who you'd never have heard about had you not walked past their booth. It's games of all sorts, its geek clothing and accessories. Its's dice by the bucketload (literally at the Chessex booth).

I reserve at LEAST one day for the Dealer hall. The only day I will likely not go in is the day the Blood Bowl tournament happens because that runs 8am-6pm.

If I was to recommend one other thing you should try it wouldbe True Dungeon. It's pretty cool, and genuinely unique to Gencon. If you want to try it more than once is another matter, but I'm very glad I did it the once I have been through. In contrast I've heard very mixed reviews of Hickman's Breakfast (though I've never been). Major note there is that there is no breakfast included.

18 hours one way. Worth it.
  • 04-06-2013 5:04 AM In reply to

• Left
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-16-2013
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 1,374

I am very much looking forward to the dealer hall.  He plan to spend all of Thursday and some of Sunday there, or at least keep that time open if we want to hang there.  

The auction is another part that is on our list, thank you.

• 04-06-2013 1:19 PM In reply to

• Rhone1
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-25-2006
    • Southern California
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 4,802
    • Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)
      VIG

I'd say, as has already been said, True Dungeon.  It really is a unique experience that is very "Gen Con" to me.  You may like it, or maybe it won't be your thing, but it is worth doing at least once.  Walking through a pretend dungeon can be pretty stressful...can you even imagine the terror if it was real? Sheesh, that would be crazy :)

Osss!
  • 04-06-2013 1:56 PM In reply to

• NDGeekboy
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-04-2006
    • The Black Hole of North America
    • Gaming Encyclopedia
    • Points 40,492
    • Tester

thadrin:

You can meet the creators of your favourite games. You can demo stuff that won't be out for months or even years.

Which reminds me, last year Gen Con introduced the Playtest Hall. Game designers bring in their works, which are still in progress, for gamers to playtest and offer feedback on. Yes, we get to be part of the process! Just the thought alone of that is fun -- well, for me anyway.

Also, a heads up on True Dungeon. I've heard a ton of great stuff on it and it probably is a great thing to try -- but it's expensive. Last year, I think the tickets were something like $40 per person per run. (Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong on that price.)

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different.
    - Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

You see, you just can't trust anyone. The first time I let a girl into my life and she tried to eat me.
    - Columbus, Zombieland

I guess that's what my horoscope meant when it said, "Ka-Boom."
    - Al Bundy, Married: With Children

The fundamental cause of trouble in this world is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
    - Bertrand Russell
  • 04-08-2013 8:40 AM In reply to

• Wricherde
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-10-2008
    • Iowa City
    • Attendee
    • Points 1,796

NDGeekboy:

I also tend to gravitate towards zombie-themed games, particularly board games. The last couple years, there's been a ton of them, and I don't see that dying off any time soon.

And if they did die they'd just get right back up anyway. :-P

Big +1 to your advice about taking a little space to breathe. By all means sleep too little, play that extra game, carpe fistfuls of diem and leave Indianapolis exhausted, but even half an hour to sit quietly away from the throng and have a meal a couple times a day is key, in my experience.

My armor class is -3

... that used to be good.
  • 04-08-2013 3:28 PM In reply to

• KatTsunade
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 07-27-2008
    • Lafayette, Indiana
    • Gamer
    • Points 9,432
    • Group (Gamer Wenches)

Draven:

Left:

KatTsunade:

Uhg yes. >< My keyboard hates me most of the time and skips out on letters from time to time.

• 04-08-2013 6:45 PM In reply to

• Left
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-16-2013
    • Swag Grabber
    • Points 1,374

KatTsunade:

Draven:

Left:

KatTsunade:

Uhg yes. >< My keyboard hates me most of the time and skips out on letters from time to time.

So much time lost searching. :P
Page 1 of 2 (34 items) 1 2 Next >