Gen Con Community

Welcome to Gen Con Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Will there be swag bags this year?

Last post 07-24-2013 8:36 AM by TemporalShrike. 38 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-20-2013 9:03 AM

Will there be swag bags this year?

I missed them last year. I understand the practical realities, and why they weren't there, but I still missed them. The coupon book didn't do a very good job replacing it, largely because the coupons weren't very good in general.
    Something Witty and Clever
  • 05-20-2013 12:38 PM In reply to

• Kiyote
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-22-2006
    • Wellesley, Ontario
    • Attendee
    • Points 2,953
    • VIG

Re: Will there be swag bags this year?

I have to image the general swag bags are gone for good simply due to the number of people attending.  What company can afford to give away 40,000 of something in this industry?  Very, very few.

I personally would rather see more meaningful coupons, though.

• 05-20-2013 1:01 PM In reply to

• garhkal
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-04-2006
    • Game Theorist
    • Points 14,936

Agreed.  Heck i would love for once, to see said coupon book to include stuff for local food vendors..

It's not who you kill but how they die!.
    You cannot shoot what you cannot see, and
    You cannot dodge it if you do not know it is comming!!!
  • 05-20-2013 1:19 PM In reply to

garhkal:

Agreed.  Heck i would love for once, to see said coupon book to include stuff for local food vendors..

If you can invent a time machine, the very first coupon book included coupons for several restaurants. It was great and they got used. I think, though, that none of the restaurants want to use coupons anymore, because why give people 10% off, when you're tables will be packed for the duration of the con anyway?

All in all, theres not really anything to be done about it... but I still miss the swag bag :). The only thiing they could do is have a limited number of them (like, the first X thousand attendes get a bag). It would be kind of intermediate between the VIG swag bags (very limited quantity) and the full con (huge numbers of bags).

• 05-21-2013 4:40 PM In reply to

• Laertes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-27-2006
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 3,524

Didn't Scotty's have something a year or two ago? I think it involved Fried Pickles.
  • 05-21-2013 4:57 PM In reply to

• KatTsunade
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 07-27-2008
    • Lafayette, Indiana
    • Game Master
    • Points 10,287
    • Group (Gamer Wenches)
      Group (Gen Con United Nations)

A coupon would encourage me to go out to eat more often, that's for sure! Or even a tiny advertisement of a fun game thing they may do with the customers like, "Spin the wheel, win a percentage off your meal!", a game of chance for coupons of different things like maybe a free entree, a buy one get one free/ x amount off, or even "Show us your badge and your pop is on the house!" the bars could do, "Show us your badge and you get a free drink!". They could stamp the badges to let them know you already got your goodie.

Maybe Gen Con could reach out to the local companies and say, "Hey, we'd like to work with you guys and benefit both of us!".

Throw in some wit and sarcasm here and ramblings of kitties.

• 05-21-2013 5:11 PM In reply to

I would think that restaurants that are further away from ground zero might be perfect for this.  I'm not planning on walking more than 3-4 blocks away from the convention center, but if a restaurant that had decent food options was within, say 5-8 blocks, I might spring for the walk.

-Rocky
    Darkangel866
    Michigan Marauder
    2012 Munchkin World Champion
  • 05-21-2013 6:39 PM In reply to

• Draven
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-01-2006
    • Coming to A Wal-Mart near you!
    • Gaming Know-it-All
    • Points 60,447
    • Dead Games Society
      Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)
      Group (Mavens)

Laertes:
    Didn't Scotty's have something a year or two ago? I think it involved Fried Pickles.

Yup.  Collected those coupons like they were gold.

KFG Wednesday Gaming - August 13, 2014! Arrive early and start gaming!

Join us on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/KentuckyFriedGamers/

• 05-21-2013 8:01 PM In reply to

• MrShiny
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2006
    • Chicago
    • Game Master
    • Points 11,272
    • VIG

KatTsunade:

A coupon would encourage me to go out to eat more often, that's for sure! Or even a tiny advertisement of a fun game thing they may do with the customers like, "Spin the wheel, win a percentage off your meal!", a game of chance for coupons of different things like maybe a free entree, a buy one get one free/ x amount off, or even "Show us your badge and your pop is on the house!" the bars could do, "Show us your badge and you get a free drink!". They could stamp the badges to let them know you already got your goodie.

Maybe Gen Con could reach out to the local companies and say, "Hey, we'd like to work with you guys and benefit both of us!".

I think the problem is there are plenty of people already going out, so the tables at the restaurants are full. Why pay for advertising when you are selling at capacity? I do think though dealers are leaving money on the table by not doing coupons and deals. Their goal should be an empty booth by the end of the con.
  • 05-22-2013 5:53 AM In reply to

MrShiny:
    I do think though dealers are leaving money on the table by not doing coupons and deals. Their goal should be an empty booth by the end of the con.

This I think is very true. Theres a lot of booths I don't even look at, even though I manage to spend at least 6 hours in the dealers hall every year. I do manage to look at all the booths that have stuff on sale in the coupon book though (as long as its not random sales I have no interest in like "get a free $5 t-shirt with your purchase of $200 or more!)

• 05-22-2013 8:03 AM In reply to

Coupon books are more about advertising than anything. With as big as GenCon is most local places don't need to advertise. They have to pay to be in those coupon books as well as give the discount. That said, there are places that give attendees discounts by just showing your badge. http://visitindy.com/gencon Check the "show us your badge discounts" on the right. There are not many listed, but always ask the stores if they offer attendee discounts as some may even if they are not listed.
  • 05-22-2013 8:39 AM In reply to

• Bubba Ho-Tep
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-02-2006
    • Ho-Tep Trailer Park
    • Gaming Know-it-All
    • Points 65,783
    • Dead Games Society
      Group (Gen Con United Nations)
      Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)
      Group (Mavens)
      Tester

Personally, most of the stuff in the old swag bag went into file 13 or I gave it to someone else, I just wanted my D6.  I much preferred the coupon book from last year, unless they get some super sweet freebies to put in the bag, then stick with the coupon book.  my 2 coppers

Don't make me use myself on you baby!

Master of All Things Ho-Tep

Play Rolemaster Classic
    Go to RPGNow for all your gaming needs.

Chief Master Moonpie Boy to the Gamer Wenches
  • 05-22-2013 10:42 PM In reply to

• garhkal
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-04-2006
    • Game Theorist
    • Points 14,936

On the dice freebie.. i have often wondered why they only ever have a 'free D6' option.  For once i would love it if you had a choice of d type..

It's not who you kill but how they die!.
    You cannot shoot what you cannot see, and
    You cannot dodge it if you do not know it is comming!!!
  • 05-23-2013 2:49 AM In reply to

• Kharavex
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-14-2006
    • Paducah, Kentucky
    • Attendee
    • Points 2,622
    • Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)
      Group (Nascrag)

garhkal:

On the dice freebie.. i have often wondered why they only ever have a 'free D6' option.  For once i would love it if you had a choice of d type..

Man, that is so simple. Excellent. Your choice of die type until we run out. Although, I have been buying the dice tin sets for years now, so this idea wouldn't affect me as much. Still, that is one hell of an idea. 

PUPPETS!!
    "And so begins another conversation that will test the encumbrance limit of my sanity." -Roy Greenhilt - OOTS #307
  • 05-23-2013 4:31 AM In reply to

• CrazyFish
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-28-2006
    • Edwardsville, IL
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 3,602
    • VIG

garhkal:

I would guess it's a production cost issue. The "free D6" isn't your choice of die, it's a custom die with the convention name and year. I believe they do the same thing for Origins and other cons they go to. It's much easier for them to produce a single tin and make one different die for each show. Not to mention, I don't think the custom logo would look good on non-D6 dice (faces too small/odd shaped).
  • 05-23-2013 7:41 AM In reply to

• Laertes
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-27-2006
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 3,524

I assume the d6 only choice also has to do with them trying to sell the tin sets. Letting people choose whatever might have a negative effect on their sales.
  • 05-23-2013 1:17 PM In reply to

Not all attendies are RPGers and the d6 is a more useful die for everyone.
  • 05-23-2013 2:33 PM In reply to

Laertes:
    I assume the d6 only choice also has to do with them trying to sell the tin sets. Letting people choose whatever might have a negative effect on their sales.

This.

The fact is the free D6 is part of a dice set. If they let you pick and choose, pepole would be able to acquire the set without buying it. plus the whole production costs thing.

Besides... what would they do with all the leftover D12's?

• 07-02-2013 5:35 PM In reply to

Several other companies were giving out dice in the coupon book. I know I also got a d20 and a d4 as well as another d6

• 07-02-2013 7:06 PM In reply to

• cadamec
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-31-2012
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • Points 152

Harin T'eb:
    Besides... what would they do with all the leftover D12's?

Give them to needy barbarians?

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next >