Gen Con Community

Welcome to Gen Con Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

2014 hotel pricing

Last post 08-27-2013 5:41 PM by CMagel. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-26-2013 10:03 AM

• bcarnes
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-02-2006
    • Gamer
    • Points 8,506

2014 hotel pricing

Did I miss info about hotel pricing for 2014?  Trying to find out some different options for a few of the hotels.

Specifically I am looking at various options for Omni but if they are all listed on a site then that is cool too.  

thanks for any help you can provide.

• 08-26-2013 11:33 AM In reply to

• Sherilyn
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 03-01-2006
    • Columbus, Oh
    • Oracle of Gaming
    • Points 30,832
    • Group (Gamer Wenches)
      Group (Gen Con United Nations)
      Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)

Re: 2014 hotel pricing

Hotel pricing will most likely not be available until January.  The housing block will not open until February. 

• 08-26-2013 11:35 AM In reply to

• atstepchild
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-02-2007
    • My Mind's in the Gutter, My body's in Columbus, OH
    • Gaming Encyclopedia
    • Points 48,865
    • Group (Kentucky Fried Gamers)
      Group (Nascrag)
      Tester

Unless you want to look at rack rate (and cringe). That varies from one chain to another when it will be visible.

Quote from Dragons of the Dwarven Depths, p259 ... Tas and Tanis talking after Tas says a prayer for the massacred Gully Dwarves.
    "It was good of you to think of that," said Tanis. "None of the rest of us did."
    "You're busy thinking big things," said Tas. "I keep track of the small stuff."

www.fatdragongames.com/ Cardstock models at great prices... by one of our own.
    www.kentuckyfriedgamers.com/ Friendliest forums on the web. Just Downhome Fun. YEEEHAAWWW!!!
    www.whosyergamers.org/wygms/ Indiana based group to provide free gaming and increased exposure.
    Gamers After Dark is for gaming adults looking for an upscale, higher quality party experience. We work to bring people together in a secure, non-threatening environment. Contact me if interested in details.
    Who's Yer Con, April 17-19, 2015
  • 08-26-2013 12:30 PM In reply to

• bcarnes
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-02-2006
    • Gamer
    • Points 8,506

thanks for the info.  I do realize when housing block goes avaialble.  I was trying to get some feedback for some of the past prices for a particular hotel we stay at but just getting basic inf in general.  We are contemplating getting a suite at the omni next year and know they have the double double and king but weren't sure on the pricing options for other room type gencon rate.  Wanted to try and posture other options before housing registration does go live.  In years past they posted info in the events book.

• 08-26-2013 1:33 PM In reply to

Seems like prices go up $5 to $15 a year.  Here are the prices from this year:

Hotel Name Group Rate ($USD)*
    The Alexander - A Dolce Hotel $185.00
    Best Western Atrea Airport Inn & Suites $115.00
    Canterbury Hotel $184.00
    Columbia Club $179.00
    Comfort Suites Indianapolis Airport $99.00
    Comfort Suites Indianapolis City Centre $175.00
    Conrad Indianapolis Hotel $221.00
    Conrad Country Inn & Suites Airport $102.00
    Courtyard by Marriott at the Capitol $174.00
    Courtyard by Marriott Downtown Indianapolis $185.00
    Crowne Plaza Hotel & Conference Center at Historic Union Station $188.00
    Embassy Suites Hotel - Indianapolis, Downtown $211.00
    Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marriott Downtown Indianapolis $165.00
    Hampton Inn Downtown - across from Circle Center Mall $175.00
    Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Airport $119.00
    Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Downtown $184.00
    Hilton Indianapolis $158.00
    Holiday Inn Express Indianapolis Airport $101.00
    Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites City Centre $175.00
    Homewood Suites by Hilton - Plainfield $104.00
    Hyatt Place Indianapolis Airport $ 95.00
    Hyatt Regency Indianapolis - at State Capitol $200.00
    Indianapolis Marriott Downtown $200.00
    JW Marriott Indianapolis $204.00
    Omni Severin Hotel $190.00
    Ramada Indianapolis Airport $ 89.00
    Sheraton Indianapolis City Centre Hotel $182.00
    SpringHill Suites by Marriott Downtown Indianapolis $175.00
    Staybridge Suites Indianapolis Airport $111.00
    Staybridge Suites Indianapolis City Centre $175.00
    The Westin Indianapolis $189.00

• 08-26-2013 2:03 PM In reply to

• garhkal
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-04-2006
    • Game Theorist
    • Points 14,936

So stay out by the airport if you don't want to spend an arm and a leg, OR volunteer and get your room compped.

It's not who you kill but how they die!.
    You cannot shoot what you cannot see, and
    You cannot dodge it if you do not know it is comming!!!
  • 08-26-2013 5:22 PM In reply to

• CMagel
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-24-2013
    • Seattle
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 4,652

Just FYI, I have the Omni held for $209 per night (cancellation allowed up to two days in advance).  There are a few hotels you can find rooms in right now, but you'll be paying more a night than you would the housing process (about $20-$50). Of course, you KNOW you have a good room and can still potentially try to find somethign better if you paid the higher cancellations allowed rate.

As I said elsewhere, for some getting a cheaper room and communting (the shuttle from the airport hotels actually sounds like a great option if the $50 is for the whole Con) is preferred, but I'd rather pay to be within walking distance, no more than maybe 4 blocks, preferably 1 or 2. I've been a few times and being able to walk over to my hotel and crash for a few hours or dump off purchases is worth the extra cost to me.

I can't imagine what things would be like if it was still in Milwaukee.  I liked the area surrounding the Con, but the housing situation was getting pretty awful.

Cory Magel

- When the Game Master smiles, it's already too late.
  • 08-26-2013 7:36 PM In reply to

I nabbed the.Hyatt at $189 a night last week. Price was good as long as you stayed Sunday.night. but last time I checked it was now.requiring a stay of Tuesday through.Monday.
  • 08-27-2013 4:43 AM In reply to

• bcarnes
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-02-2006
    • Gamer
    • Points 8,506

thanks again for the info.  Only question I still have is there going to be the ability to view the other options other than the standard double double or king before having to make the decison  

• 08-27-2013 5:14 AM In reply to

• Sherilyn
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 03-01-2006
    • Columbus, Oh
    • Oracle of Gaming
    • Points 30,832
    • Group (Gamer Wenches)

Typically housing doesn't have anything other than standard rooms listed on the registration site.  You have to call for anything else. 

• 08-27-2013 5:24 AM In reply to

• bcarnes
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-02-2006
    • Gamer
    • Points 8,506

Call housing bureau?  If so thanks.  If that is the case call them after I have the standard reservation?

• 08-27-2013 5:44 AM In reply to

• Sherilyn
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 03-01-2006
    • Columbus, Oh
    • Oracle of Gaming
    • Points 30,832
    • Group (Gamer Wenches)

bcarnes:
      Call housing bureau?  If so thanks.  If that is the case call them after I have the standard reservation?

I'm not sure if they would let you change out an existing reservation (or upgrade it).  I only know that the process for suites or ADA rooms (handicap) are usually only available over phone.  I have not had to do this myself so have no real experience.  I am choosing to book out of the block yet again to avoid the complications and to make sure I get an ADA room since I have cancer that is affecting the use of my right leg and can't use a standard hotel bathroom at this point.  The extra hundred I'll spend is worth the assurance that I will be in a hotel and room that meets my needs. 

• 08-27-2013 5:41 PM In reply to

• CMagel
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-24-2013
    • Seattle
    • Gamer Apprentice
    • Points 4,652

If you can hold a room with no cancellation fee then there's no real harm in holding one outside the housing process then going through the housing process later to see if you can do better.

Things to keep in mind...

1. You are going to pay more for it, but if you get the hotel you want it might be worth it to you.

2. Make sure you are not going to be charged a cancellation fee if you are going to try this.  Make doubly sure if they want payment info up front.

3. Keep in mind that you may not see rooms avaiable online, but if you call and do not identify as a GenCon attendee they may actually have rooms. (I've always wondered what the motivation is for the hotels to NOT let you pay a higher price if you don't want to go through the housing process what with pretty much being gaurenteed to fill up.  If there was more competition I would understand, but even Indy is getting tight for GenCon).

Oh, and as Sherilyn said, if you need an ADA room and are going through the housing process you need to need to actually call the housing group at the dates they will indicate for next year.  As she did, if you're really concerned about it I'd try to get a room on your own first.

Cory Magel

- When the Game Master smiles, it's already too late.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)